New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Rim fire
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in a top of the line bolt action .22 rim fire. What recomendations do you guys have for both the rifle and a top quality scope that would work well on the .22 rifle?

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A CZ with a Leupold or Nikon should get you invited to most social occasions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Ruger 77/22 in .22 lr with a Leapers air rifle scope will fill that order very well. The Leapers air rifle scope will focus down to 7 yards(much better than the 50 yard average of standard big game scopes) and for those that are so minded you can switch barrels to a .17 Mach 2 caliber and have two rifles for the price on the added barrel. If you go with the 77/22M(WMR) then you can switch barrels to a .17 HMR. An added plus you can keep in mind. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dangerous Dave: I just this past spring made the "jump" from "nice" bolt action 22's to a splendid Kimber M-22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette) Model! This wonderful little Rifle has an exceptionally fine trigger, a 24" fluted barrel and a beautiful wood stock with sensational grain and appearance! The comb of the stock is also VERY conducive to field shooting of Varmints and the use of the Leupold 6x18 variable scope I chose for it!
I shot quite a few Ground Squirrels and small Varmints with it last year and can't wait to get it back out this coming spring for more accurate fun and pride of handling/ownership!
I did some amazing wheeling and dealing to get this top quality 22 at a "livable" cost to me!
Part of the fun - that!
The accuracy of this quality 22 was very rewarding to me (and a relief!) and I consider the money well spent on it! No regrets what so ever!
Good luck with whichever top of the line 22 bolt action you might choose!
Be sure though and look up one of the Kimber Model 22 H/S's and give it a "handling" test.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: Dangerous Dave its a shame you are so far away! I have a test fired only CZ fancy model 22 L.R. that a great and dear friend of mine bought and sighted in for his grandson who is 12! Anyway the daughter-in-law refused to allow grandpa to give his grandson the CZ!
I offered to bitch-slap the trollip of a daughter-in-law for him but he declined!
My friend was literally in tears when he asked me to sell the CZ for him!
It has a couple of test targets in the box with it that showed groups at 1.000" for 5 shots at 100 yards!
I would have bought it myself but the "hang down" clip gives me diarhea every time I see the clip installed in the Rifle!

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Here is a link where you can find a lot of information regarding rimfire rifles. Hope this helps. http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a used Rem 541S sporter you will have an extremely accurate 22 with a fully adjustable trigger. They built them to look like a mini Mod 700 and used very nice wood on them as well.
Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Ruger, CZ, Remington...Dave said he was interested in top-of-the-line 22s. Wink Dave, I don't know what you mean by top-of-the-line 22s, but IMO this is where it starts - Volquartsen, Kimber, Cooper, Ansuchtz, Sako, and the like.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You said "Top of the line", so here's the Anschutz catalog.

http://www.shooterscatalogue.com/Color%20Catalogs/Ans%2...20Prices.pdf#search='Anschutz'

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the names above have great rifles.

I was lucky this past year to find a great condition REM 541-T with a heavy barrel.

But I was looking at the Kimbers,Anshutz, and Sako. I think the Sako's way too high, unless they'd sell it with an extra barrel at the same price.

I haven't spoke to anyone that has a new model REM 504, and I could never find one to look at till just recently, BUT I was impressed by the way it looks and feels, very much like a Kimber.
I also don't know if they make more than a 5 shot magazine for it.

I put a VX-1 Leupold 3x9 on mine, though I might consider a higher power (?x14) in the future.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Cooper Rifles

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2602 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote