New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is for the future but would like to have a rifle primarily for practice but might use it some for coyotes. It needs to be highly accurate
and have a long barrel life as it will be shot a lot by myself and by my grandson. I was thinking of either a 222 or a 243 as it could serve as a light hunting gun. Both have a rep for inherent accuracy, I've experienced this in a 243 as my daughter has one and it's hard to load the most accurate handload as almost all loads are accurate. From what I read the 222 is also super in the accuracy department. The 222 takes half the powder to load. Also have even considered
the 17hmr. Opinions and Experiences, Please!!
Ray

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 223. Super accurate, long barrel life, tons of factory ammo available, tons of reload possibilities, brass is readily available, and it will knock a coyote on it's ass.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
If you put the same amount of money in either a .222 or .223 the .222 will be the most accurate. It is a very easy caliber to load for and has a great range of information and holds world record for the smallest group in competition. That being said you could do well with either caliber in a custom built rifle. Bob white at Shooter's corner has the largest selection of target rifles in the world and is a great guy to work with in selecting a target rifle for your needs. Go with the .222 IMHO. Good Luck