New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd 9.3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an oddball Husqvarna rifle that someone hopefully has some answers. I bought it as a 9.3 x 62, turns out it isn't. I've fireformed 30-06 brass so I can shoot it, but Im curious as to what it really is. The rifle is a '96 based sporter, 24"bbl. Crown stamps on all parts and matching numbers. Island rear sight and barrel band sling. The barrel is marked "Husqnarna Vapenfabriks A.B. kal 9.3 m.m. There is a number 62 stamped on the rear sight island. Serial # is 103xx. The case which comes out of the chamber is 2.34" long, .470" across the web, .452" at the shoulder, .391" fired neck dimension, and 1.94 from bottom of case to shoulder, which is .10" long. The neck is .316" long. I've been calling it a 9.3 X 60, but I'm really not sure this is accurate. Any ideas from the 9.3 clan out there? By the way, it shoots like a house afire with 270 gr Speers at 2400 fps. Thanks.

Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan
At first guess it looks like an improved 9.3x57 Mauser. Shoulder blown out and moved forward. Fireforming with 3006 brass would give a longer case . Just a guess!

Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Dear Dan,

my diagnosis is that you�re the lucky owner of a Husqvarna 46 in cal. 9.3x57, the fatter brother of the 8mm Mauser. It is a swedish classic for moose, and is still considered a prior choice for moose, bear and boar.

You find a lot of facts about it here at "Pettson�s": http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/m46.html

Ammo is factory loaded by Norma, which also still make the cases. Tools can be get from Rcbs or Hornady. If you don�t get cases you can easily upneck 8mm Mauser or continue to form .30-06. Loading data at www.norma.cc

I got a Husqvarna myself in this caliber, but a 146, and I love that rifle. These rifles are very well balanced and shoot excellent offhand.

You are welcome to mail any questions, if you want.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Hallo again Dan,

I took a case and measured. My caliper says 2"7/32 over all length and 1"7/8 from shoulder to bottom for a 9,3x57 case. And that is exactly what the mark on the barrel says 9,3mm, which means 9,3mm Mauser, which is your rifle, a 9,3x57.

Fritz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I guess now I'll just wait until the next gunshow around here and see if I can find some factory ammo/brass to try out. Thanks again

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would take a chamber cast before I did anything and quite guessing...then I would have it rechambered to a 9.3x62 and be done with it....sounds like that could be done by hand, if necessary, but be sure and cast it...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
Either it�s a 9,3x57 or a 9,3x62, those are the only 9,3 calibers made by Husqvarna.
If you can fit a 30-06 case into it, it sounds like it is a 62. But before doing anything: get it checked by someone who knows.
As written befor, Norma still makes ammo for this exellent caliber.
BUT look out, the 96 isnt as strong as the 98. I wouldnt shoot with a 96, i would find a 98 and buy it.
If you want ammo loaded with the Woodleigh bullet, send me an E-mail and i�ll give you some info.

------------------
monz

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monz:
Either it�s a 9,3x57 or a 9,3x62, those are the only 9,3 calibers made by Husqvarna.
If you can fit a 30-06 case into it, it sounds like it is a 62. But before doing anything: get it checked by someone who knows.

Dear Monz,

all Huskies stamped "9,3 m.m." are 9.3 mm Mauser, which means the 9.3x57. All Huskies in 9.3x62 are stamped 9,3x62. Only exceptions are originally 9.3x57 being reamed to 9.3x62.

Since I read your posting, I have reread the other ones too. You and Ray are indeed right: the chamber of this rifle should be measured. Their are too many questions left.

But the old M96 will do a good job, if you don�t load with TNT or dynamite.

Best regards,

Fritz

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 12-10-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. As I wrote, 9.3 x 62 cartridges will not chamber. I thought of rechambering Ray, but I have another Huskie that is a 9.3 x 62. I haven't come across any 9.3 x 57 ammo yet. I think I will do a chamber cast, just to make sure. Anyone know of any other 9.3's? Thanks, Dan.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
There is also a 9.3x53Swiss, 9.3x53R Swiss, 9.3x53R Finnish. Just thought I'd add to your confusion