THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    90 Grain HPBT Sierra w/ 257 Roberts?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

90 Grain HPBT Sierra w/ 257 Roberts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted
Guys
I'm looking for a little experience from you with the 90 Grain Sierra HPBT to be used on deer?

My first question is have you used it & what was the results?

My second question is how fast were you pshing the 90 grain Bullet?

Third what was the range that you took the deer with that Bullet?

I'm currently working on the 257 Roberts Improved in an Encore Pistol with a 15 3/4" Barrel & I think I should be able to obtain 3000 Fps with the 90 Grain Sierra HPBT. I'm just a little worried that it won't hold up. Any info on this bullet would be appreciated Greatly. Thanks

Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this helps or not...3000 fps with the 90 HPBT, 90 yds: WHOP!FLOP!DEAD! No exit, nothing recognizable remaining of the bullet, shoulder shot on a 125# hog. Nothing in the forequarters edible. Shoulder region of the hog felt like a crunchy water balloon. IF I was going to use that bullet on deer I'd slow it down a bit first. Just a guess but I think it would work well at impact velocities around 2200-2300 fps. OR, I'd neck shoot them. .257 Roberts, Ruger #1 JMO

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Dan
I'm also working with 100 Grain Nosler Bal Tip which I believe will be able to do between 2800-2900 Fps. Don't know which would be better. I was hoping to find something that would be accurate & flat shooing enough to reach out to 300 yards if necessary.

I thought that the 90 HPBT might be like a grenade at close range. I don't want to do extra damage, jut want to get the job done. The 90 seem to fly well & that's part of the reason that I asked this question.

This is my first steps into a small caliber & want to get something that will work & be reliable.

Rich Jake

[ 03-12-2003, 03:27: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<rplocat>
posted
rich jake
you should be alright with the 90 gr at those speeds
but i think the 100 gr bt will be better.i used both in my 257 stw on deer 90 gr at 3935 fps explodes on the neck.i use the 100 gr bt at 3780 fps it will go thru both sholders and be under skin on far shoulder at 300 yrds. hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich Jake
I've Had A Lot Of Experience With The Sierra 90BTHP , But Mostly On Coyotes And Other Varmints.
I Get 3600fps Out Of A .257Ackley Imp. Ruger #1B Excellent Accuracy And Devestating Performance On Varmints Out To 450-500yds.

But For Deer I Stick With The Nosler 120 Partition
It Holds Together To Get More Penetration,3100fps.
I've Taken Deer Cleanly ,1 Shot Kills Out To 300yds.

I Would Be Very Tempted To Try The Nosler 100gr Or
115gr Partition In The Encore , Because They Work
Well Even At Lower Velocities And Longer Ranges.

Luther

Posts: 80 | Location: TEXASVILLE | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luther:

I Would Be Very Tempted To Try The Nosler 100gr Or
115gr Partition In The Encore , Because They Work
Well Even At Lower Velocities And Longer Ranges.

Luther

I'm thinking that the 90 Sierra would probably be too fragile for deer at the possible speeds to be generated. So I think the 100 Grain Nosler Bal Tip will probally be what I'll give a try to start out. I think that I should be able to get to 2800-2900 FPS. If that doesn't work out well the next try would be the 100 Grain Nosler Partition or maybe Barnes 100 grain XBT.
Rich Jake

posted Hide Post
I used the Sierra 90 gr HPBT for a few years on about 25 deer or so and found it to be a reliable bullet out of my 25/06 at 3400 fps . It would break up on shoulder bone but always gave enough penetration to be deadly . It has always been a very accurate bullet for me as well. As a side line I have an uncle who has killed over a hundred deer with a 25/06 and the Sierra 90gr HPBT. I can't say much more for the bullet than that!! Goat

Posts: 18 | Location: Deville, Louisiana | Registered: 31 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Stoneybroke>
posted
A pal uses the 90 gr hpbt in a 257 Roberts. Velocity is about 3100fps. Performance is excellant. On lung shots, bullet penetrates completely, with good expansion. On shoulder shots, bullet will break the near shoulder and partially penetrate the far shoulder. I shoot thw HPBT Gamekings in 308, 30-06, 300 Weatherby (165gr) 270 Winchester (140 grain), and 243 Winchester 85 grain. All will out penetrate and IMO more importantly out shoot the Gameking soft points. Stoney

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i may be wrong, but i would tend to think the 90gr sierra hpbt would be harder than a nosler bt.

the hpbt gameking bullets by sierra have a tougher jacket by design than like soft point bullets.
here's an idea, call or e-mail sierra's bullet technician's and they can tell you exactly how that bullet should perform at your velocities. they are very helpful. maybe you can get their ideas on the best loads for the .257. [Smile]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
I have written to sierra & they said that the 90 Gr HPBT would be up to the task, I'm just not that confident looking at them. That is why I asked about them as far as performance. It could be that looks are deceiving in this case. I guess I'll just have to do some balistic testing of my own to see for sure. However after some of the answers from you guys I feel a little more confident in them. Thanks !
Rich Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find the Sierra 90 grainer to be a good performer. It was my bullet of choice in my 257 'bob' AI. Never failed to do the job.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote