New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Tikka T3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To possible speed up my search for a couple good loads, can I get some input on what has work for varmint loads and Deer loads in this rifle. I thought I would start with 75 gr. V-Max for varmints and possible 85 gr. Barnes Triple shock or Nosler 95gr. BT for Deer Loads. Any help on bullets and powder that have gave excellent results would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Mohunt:

While I never have used the Barnes or Nosler BT's I have killed a LOT of deer with both 85 and 95 gr Nosler Partitions. The first powder I would try would be H-414. Then 4350, and then 4064. 414 generally has given the most speed in my 243's and usually it has good accuracy. Sometimes its necessary to use a magnum primer with that powder.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey
i have a t3 in .243 and for mine i use factory ammo
i found a great load for it in federal premium ammunition
with a 70 gr speer tnt hollowpoint bullet that load is
deadly accurate in my t3 and is availible for about $13 a box at natchezss.com this ammo shoots 1/2 in or under @100
consistantly
divr6347

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 243 likes 100 grain Nosler Partitions with 41.5 grains of IMR 4350, Winchester WLR primers and an AOL of 2.710".

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent shot an animal with mine yet but my T3 SS Syn 243 seems to shoot 95 grain SST with 44 grains of I4350 pretty well. I havent spent a lot of time working up a load yet but, while slightly over book max, I have never had any pressure signs with it except the ocasional cratered/flattened primer. It consisntenly shoots MOA or better for me also. Cant wait to try it out on a few deer this fall. I did some rough math and by my estimates that load should be about 3150 FPS

For your Vmax load i would try something with Varget, I have had good luck using it with 70 grain blitzkings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4064 and Sierra 85 gr bthp's shoot around 1/2" at 150 yds in both my a-bolt and my brother's Tikka. Its the most accurate load I have found for my a-bolt, but his Tikka will shoot the cheap Remington 80 gr hollowpoints about as well for some reason (these shoot abyssmally in my browning)

Try the Sierra's and 4064. I always seem to get better accuracy with it than 414.

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote