THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LOAD FOR YOUR 22 HORNET???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LOAD FOR YOUR 22 HORNET???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted
What is your favorite load for your 22 Hornet. Please list type of rifle, barrel twist if known, and bullet weight and type, and powder weight and type. Also, what is the best powder, in your opinion, for the Hornet??

thanks, flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I like Lil Gun, check the Hodgon manual for the charge, and the Hornady 35 grain V-Max. I shoot this out of a Model 23 Savage, 26" barrel.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
1949 BRNO don't know the twist, or barrel length off hand. Loves the 35 gr Hornady V-Max with too much AA 1680 and a Fed 205M in WW cases. I totally agree with neck sizing and small pistol primers aren't too bad many applications. Also is amazingly accurate with Winchester factory ammo. I have alot of the 1680 so I haven't tried the Lil gun as yet, but really love the AA 1680. Both loads shoot about .75 MOA @ 100 yards.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BRNO 1949, ZKW 465, 1 in 16" twist, 13 grains Lil' Gun, CCI SR primer, pretty much any brass, 40 grain V-max. An accurate and deadly load in my gun. Have got some 35 grain V-Max but have yet to try them.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Lil'Gun and the 35 grain V-MAX. I have a CZ 527 and a BSA Martini in 22 Hornet and use 13 grains and 11 grains respectively. BTW, I use small pistol primers and neck size only.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 23, 1 in 16 twist.

35gr Vmax, 12.5gr Lil Gun, small pistol primers, 1.735" OAL.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For coyotes: 13.0gr Lilgun, small pistol primer and a 45gr Barnes XLC, @2950fps;

For general shooting: 13.0gr Lilgun, small pistol primer and a 45gr softpoint @2875fps;

For best accuracy: 11.7gr Lilgun, spp, and a 52gr Sierra HPBTM @2650fps.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 w/20" barrel.

If you own a Hornet, you owe it to the rifle to try Lilgun and small pistol primers. Great accuracy, high velocities and low pressures.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. My hornet is on the way.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C 10" 12 twist, 55 FMJ and 5.4g of AA#2. I use this for IHMSA with little or no recoil and enough to take targets down.

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle- 1730 Anschutz with approx. 1 in 16 twist and .223 bore diameter.

Load- Win. cases, WSR primer, 40grain Blitz King, and 10.5 grains of Lil Gun.

Velocity- 2820fps.

A few days ago I measured 6 3 shot groups. They averaged .53 inches @ 100 yards.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Definately looks like I am going to have to try Lil gun. But also consider when working up loads to do so in 2/10 ths of a grain increments, this is a small capacity case.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Due to the nature of the Ruger magazine, bullet selection is limited. I have found the following to be excellent.
Sierra 40 grain Hornet #1200 (Moly coated, or not)
13.6 grains 1680
WSR Primer WW Case
2665 FPS
My smallest group was 1/4" @ 100 yards, with others still under an inch.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote