New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5's…..how come
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If the 6.5 Creedmore is the new darling of the LR target crowd, why isn't the 6.5 Swede the darling ? Is the Creedmore somehow more inherently accurate than the Swede ? And loading the new hot bullets in 6.5 wouldn't the 264 Mag give you more options with powder. Or is it the old " shorter powder column " is more accurate ? Surely with the new powders today one could take advantage of the larger powder capacity of the Swede and make it sing ?…………………..JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30+ degree shoulders don't need much, if any, trimming after first firing. Stiff short actions in bolt guns, high bc bullets in AR mags. Creedmoor was taylor made for the target crowd. While the Swede isn't as sloped as the x57mm cases, it certainly doesn't follow the modern target round formula. I'm sure someone who doesn't mind a little shorter case life, more trimming and case sizing can make up a heck of an accurate swede target rifle. The 222 suffered a similar situation when the PPC's and Waldog showed up. The 222 is super accurate, but the PPC and Waldog were less work.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now if we could get Lapua brass in 6.5 Creedmoor it would be a target shooters dream come true.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Now if we could get Lapua brass in 6.5 Creedmoor it would be a target shooters dream come true.

Reputed to come out this year... but with a small primer pocket. STUPID!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:

Reputed to come out this year... but with a small primer pocket. STUPID!

I don't know about stupid, but unnecessary for sure.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 6.5x55 has been on the scene for over 100 years, there are more than a few rifles with weaker actions, primarily the Norwegian Krags, lurking out there, so bumping the pressures on factory loaded ammunition looks like a liability risk to me.

I have a couple dozen 6.5mm bore rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor, 256 Newton, 260, 6.5x55, and 6.5-284. I like shooting factory ammo in my 6.5 Creedmoor because it is the best, most accurate and consistent, factory loaded ammo that has been made for 6.5mm bore rifles during the 50+ years that I've been shooting them.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the 260 rem. can be used in a short action the Creedmoor and the 6.5x47 Lapua are better suited. It has mild recoil and factory ammo is good. Any of them will drive a 140gr. bullet fast enough to beat or match the 190gr. 300WM in drop and drift out to 1K yds. The 6.5 bullets have good BC and sectional density.

The 6.5x55 is a fine cartridge. It has been around a long time but is better suited for a long action. It will do anything any of the other 6.5's will do and perhaps a bit better but for PRS matches the Creedmoor is favored and the 6mm necked down version is a favorite as well.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Target shooters prefer the small rifle primer. The 6.5x47 uses a small rifle primer.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see no one mentioned the .264 Win Mag………I admit I don't have the experience with the .264 WM, but I have shot a few. Now, it would seem to me the issue is how far can we stay supersonic, before the evil sound barrier comes to play. Would it not be easier to use the capacity of a Swede or a 264 Win Mag to get there ?

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Target shooters prefer the small rifle primer. The 6.5x47 uses a small rifle primer.

That is what I am chambering my 1920 Savage in.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:
Surely with the new powders today one could take advantage of the larger powder capacity of the Swede and make it sing ?

Magazines. The creedmore is the darling of LR shooters using magazines. The LR hunters don't care much about it. The F-class guys don't either. It's specialty is the tactical/practical matches where you need to see your own impact, and need to shoot rapid strings. Most of the available magazines are based on the 308, so that's why even the 260rem is less popular than the creed. The creed lets you fit long pointy bullets in a magazine made for the 308.