THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    100 and 115 gr Nosler BT experience in 25-06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 and 115 gr Nosler BT experience in 25-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ok guys, i just picked up a 25-06 on a remington action. It has a Hart 10" twist barrel on it. I am planning on using this rifle for a long range varmint gun (primarily crows and groundhogs). Therefore, finding a bullet to shoot in it with a high B.C. is a must. Several people have recommended the 75 gr vmax for shooting groundhogs. After looking around, the B.C. of this bullet is about .290. I also looked at Nosler's website. They offer a 85 gr BT (B.C. of .329), a 100 gr BT (B.C. of .393), and a 115 gr BT (B.C. of .453). I'd like to mess around with these heavier nosler ballistic tips and see how they shoot. Has anyone messed around with these bullets? I'm also up for any suggestions!
Thanks,
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 85, 100, and 115 NBTs - they work very well for vermin and big game. I've found NBTs to be amoung the most accurate hunting bullets on the market. Combined with relatively high BCs and competent design, they have killed humanely everything I've used them on.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree with AIU I've always found the BT to be a very accurate bullet. In my 25-06 I use the 85BT for any of my small game shooting. Then jump to the 115 for deer.

Using Noslers max load of Rl 19 I get 3575fps from a 24". I zero at 2.5" high at 100 and just put the crosshairs on the target out to about 375 yds. Past that I can't hit a varmint anyway. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...(primarily crows and groundhogs). Therefore, finding a bullet to shoot in it with a high B.C. is a must.

Perhaps I'm confused, but a high ballistic coefficient promotes more retained energy. Crows and groundhogs don't require that much when shot in the vitals by anything of 85 grains on up.

If you want the NTH degree of high BC get a box of Berger 115 VLD bullets. They should satisfy your craving.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck,
Try the 100gr Nosler BT's! I have had good results with these, using 50 grains of RE19. My Sendero LOVES this load! Have you shot yours yet?
GHD and I did some testing at 3,4,5 and 600 yards this past Sunday. His .204 shot a group at 500 yards that was smaller than a DIME! You would have to be there to believe it! LOTSA FUN!
As for the comment by onefunzr, the higher the BC of a bullet, the less drop you will have at the longer ranges, so looking for a higher BC will aid you in less cranking on those target turrets on your Nikon 6-18 scope!

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MH,
i haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I just got finished lapping the rings on it and am about to mount the scope on it. That is one impressive group! i'll be out of school about the 3rd of may so when i get back up home, i plan on coming up and shooting both my 22-250 and the 25-06 after i get it shooting how i want. I'm gonna give the 85's, the 100's and the 115's a try in it. There isn't anything wrong with a B.C. of .453 from that 115 gr BT if it shoots well Cool If i had to bet though, i'd say it's gonna like those 100's a little better. I'll try to keep yall posted.
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, If you had not picked up that 25-06 on Friday, I would have probaly not been able to withstand the temptation to have loded up a few 85 grain Nosler BT's ahead of 57.0 grains of ReLoader 19 and tested it!!! 3613-3614fps(actual velocities from 2 different SENDERO 26" barrels on the same range day!!!!.....what's one fps difference!!??? My programs won't get down to that fine a predictions!!!! Oh and the custom one did 3617fps!!!!!) Will it do the "smackdown" on a groundhog? YOU BETCHA!!!! And if you just have to try some 75's, check out 53.0 grains of H414 and the 75VMAX!!! If you want to go to 100's or 115's.......you know where my data book is!!! When you coming home for the summer? Old Josh(marmonthunter) and myself have got the "long distance" range set up!!! We can go to 1000 with no problem!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ruck,
i shoot a savage 110fp in 25/06 with 24" barrel.
the most accurate bullet that it shoots is the 75gr V-max. it likes all weights of nosler bt's but again i say, the MOST accurate is the V-max.
i use imr4831, cci primers, and remington brass.
if i do my job it will shoot in the .50 range at 200yds. one thing you need to be careful of is,the 25/06 can be HABIT FORMING!!

GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING
wm.f. in fla

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt they are habit forming, I have had 4 of them within the past 6 months! Love my other rifles, but I guess I have a new favorite...for now...Ruck, keep us posted, looked like you have a keeper!

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These comments may be subject to change as I become more familiar with my new rifle. It's a Remington 700BDL in .25-06. I had it out to the range for the first time last week. I was shooting Remington factory fodder in 100 and 120gr. loads. I was surprised that the rifle kicked more than I had expected for a quarter bore. I solved that by putting on a Past Recoil Shield. The rifle is unbelievably loud, and spits a flame out the end of about 12-18". It's fairly accurate, no complaint there. Given time to work up good handloads I think I'll be quite happy with it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, try the Speer 87gr spitzers, my Remington Sendero loves them...the 'dogs' don't. I use IMR4064 with them. Cal, the recoil is minimal too

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I won't say it's the best but it's the best I've found in my 25-06... Try RE22 with those 115 grain BT or BST's. I won't list a powder charge because mine are max with my gun but give it a try.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that the same charge of RE 22 with 120 grain partitions is even more accurate at 100 yards.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 100 gr Nosler BTs in my Steyr 25-06 w/ 54 grs of H4831SC. Groups about 1 MOA, I think they will do better after a little more break in. (Note - this is above suggested starting load, I started lower & worked up). Ballistic tips have a good reputation for accuracy for a hunting bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently loading the 115 BT Nosler and though I haven't used it in the field yet, I have been pleased with range accuracy.

What I really want is a Ballistic Tip 100gr Varmint Bullet. Hornady and Sierra don't make a BT in 100gr, and only Nosler makes a 100 gr BT but they say it's a heavier built Hunting Ballistic Tip.

When I recently bought some Nosler bullets on sale, I should have bought some of their 100s but I bought some more 115s. I'm sure it will hit p-dogs hard and double as a deer round. My load is real close to the load listed above by "sjmci"

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote