New
Find
Notify
Tools

New T-Bolt .22 from Browning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone try one of these yet? Comments on accuracy or quality.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm curious too. My Dad bought me one new about 1966 and I used to it to earn my Marksmanship Merit Badge under the tutelage of a member of the Fort Lewis Army pistol team. He was extremely impressed with the little T-bolt's accuracy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I was interested in the new Win. Wildcat, but don't know if it will sell now that Winch. went under.

I wonder how accurate are the Browning semi-auto, the petite bottom ejector model.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Little browning auto, accurate enough to head shoot squrriels out to 50 yards and then some. Kept one as an airplane gun for years.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun gun, my bro has a BL-22 and has loads of fun, shot many squirrels open sights with short hp's. Handles like a dream, and short stroke design is nice.

I am trending more towards 'having fun' and not always all out precision as my scoped bolt just makes it too easy, Ruger with custom barrel-wads them up......I have had a few very enjoyable hunts dropping squirrels with open sighted 22's. May start using them more often and/or peep sighted 22's. Getting more back to basics adds a little spice to the hunt sometimes as handgun hunting can/does. If I NEED to bring meat home, a scoped weapon it is, but if I want to have fun, I may choose another.

I had a neat feeling dropping a squirrel with a HP to the head from my deceased grandfathers old Rem. 33 single shot rifle. That squirrel spotted me first, but as fox squirrels do he hesitated at the top of a pecan tree, and you know the rest of the story. I think about shooters in the pre scope era, how they might have concentrated more on sights and trigger vs. snatching a trigger on a high powered scoped rig. Ammo was scarce at times and there was less firepower. Marksmanship was perhaps more challenged, and the focus, now it seems the industry pushes higher powered cartridges, scopes, and cycle rates, and they have their purpose at times, but back to the basics can be fun.

Did you scope that auto or shoot open sights? Just curious. They are dainty rifles, so a small sized scope seems in order. Tree squirrels in Alaska? Without the big tails we have in the south I imagine.....noticed in Colorado they are different.

It sounds like you liked the Browning auto fine.

Might pick one up for a new fun gun.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have what I have been told is the last t-bolt in the country. A very well built gun, far better quality than anything I've seen, and I have seen most of whats out there, being a gunsmith, I've worked on the lot. This little rifle is everything the A.R. said it is and more. I got one inch groups using Rem. crap ammo in sub-freezing temps @ 40yds. The flyers were me shaking. If you can get one, DO IT!
gunwrench.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Anyone try one of these yet? Comments on accuracy or quality.

Dogcat: Looks like everybody is commenting about the old Belgian T-Bolt, not about the new version which is Japanese, and has some improved features like a straighter stock and a larger capacity magazine. The jury is still out on its overall quality compared to the old one since so few are actually in the hands of shooters yet. I could comment on my old model T-bolt, also, but I'll only say that I'd much rather have a stock shaped like the higher stock that comes on the new one.

I have neither seen nor fired the new one, but it's retail price in the $600 neighborhood certainly gives most .22 buyers pause.

Question: Will Browning offer a lefty version like it did in the old one?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek:
My previous comments were about the new version. I also had the chance in the....'um, '70s to shoot the original. The new one is heavier in the reciever area. As soon as it dries out here in the NW, I'll have better accuracy report.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunwrench:
Stonecreek:
My previous comments were about the new version. I also had the chance in the....'um, '70s to shoot the original. The new one is heavier in the reciever area. As soon as it dries out here in the NW, I'll have better accuracy report.

Sorry, I guess that I misinterpreted your comments as referring to the old model.

How is the new one heavier in the receiver area? Do you mean the diameter of the action, or the bulk of the stock?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
I am still learning about this forum stuff.

New T-Bolt has a larger dia. reciever, adult stock that fits me well. As with most production stocks, the finish could be better. New version has hammer forged barrel. I don't know about the original. The stroke on the new is a little longer. As for the quality of manufacture..... it is a well built, tight and positive lockup, far stronger than any turn bolt I've seen.(With the exception of top end Walter or Anschutz.) No blow by on the bolt face on this one. The trigger is adjustable, with a crisp let off. It will get even better after a few hundred more rounds.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Gunwrench

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. . . . . larger diameter action with a longer stroke. Sounds like they have designed it to be chambered in .22 WMR and .17 HRM as well.

I'll bet it's strong enough, but is it also long enough to be used for .22 Hornet as with the Ruger 77 and Sako 78 actions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old one had an accessory peep sight that fit the dovetails on the receiver- I bought two of them from cape Outfitters about 11 years agon and discovered they were plastic Mad

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
Looks like you read the article too. Also, I'm working from experience with the original, albeit a long time ago. The new version does have a "block" behind the mag in the well that can be removed. 22Mag., OK. I would not try 22 Hornet. The overall design, if larger in diameter, would handle 22 H. The T-Bolt is faster cycling than a turn bolt, though, even if it were chambered for 22M.