Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Tikka T3 Feedback?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm havn't posted here before but I check this site alot. Overall, I am impressed with the opinions that members post here so I ask my question.

What kind of experiences have you guys had with the Tikka T3 chambered in 6.5x55?

This is to include everything from fit and finish through reloads that it likes. I understand that this is a broad question.

I am looking at purchasing one as my first hunting rifle (I did my first "Tacticool" rifle last summer) and would like some better feedback than the standard published reviews (readily available for .223, .308 & .243 but the 6.5x55 is seemingly rare).

-Do what you want, you will anyway

Posts: 1 | Location: Utah (out of town for now) | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am very interested in the 6.5X55 and the 260 Rem. myself. If you get one please post results here. I personally do not think you can go wrong with a Tikka. I am having trouble getting my Rem 700 in 270 to shoot well. i decided to do a test to see if it was just me. I shot three times each the 270 3 in. group, Savage 110 30-06- .75in., Browning 338 WM .85in. and the Tikka 243 Win. did .45in. This was at 100 yd and just off a small front bag. The Tikka will shoot much better than me! I was shooting handloads in all four. The Tikka shoots around .75in with most factory fodder.

Posts: 42 | Location: SW Ar. | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Tikka Hunter in 270 for a friend of mine. He researches the hell out of everything, so if that's what he wanted, I'm sure there's good reasons.

Regarding caliber, I'm with you. I'd much rather have a 6.5x55...sweet little caliber.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine T3 in .308w it shoots well have nice wood to metal finish, easy repeating. I have a 6,5*55 in another gun and like the cal. have shot moose,deer and roe with it it works well for all the game i tried.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I own 2 T3 left hand rifles and 1 White Tail Hunter. All are outstanding. I am in the process of taking the .243 and having it rebarreled to 257 Roberts.

I would have done the 260 but already have one in another rifle.

From what I can read, the 260 & 6.5x55 are two peas in a pod with the 6.5 a little better with heavy for caliber bullets (>140 grains).

If I need heavier bullets, I'll go to larger caliber.

I believe the Tikka rifles are among the finest production rifles one can buy for the money. I do not like their rings but that's a minor inconvenience. Warne bases and rings fix that.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the Tikka and the great old Swede then go buy one. They are very good value for the money and shoot very well.
I had a 6.5x55 T3 light which shot very well and would recommend this combination to anybody who likes the old Swede.
The only thing to look for is that the $ bill can slip along the underside of the barrel right to the action. There's a web in the plastic stock along the channel which might need a touch with a dremmel, it's easy to do. Then go shoot it.
Here in New Zealand the Tikka T3 S/S is very popular and rightly so.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I just made a stock for a friends T3. I know this is different but plastic bottom, plastic bolt shroud and no web between the trigger group and magazine leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5 Swede and it is easily the most accurate factory hunting rifle we have seen....100 yard groups with 130 Accubonds and 140 AMax's are in the half inch range with some as small as 3/8"
I had a Sako 75 in the Swede that was about as good....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 3 tikka T3`s a lite stainless in .243win,
a camo stainless in .22rem and a blued laminate in 30 06. They all have shot well straight out of the box just run them in properly.

If you want to change the plastic bolt shroud to anodised alloy one you can get them from Hinterland shooting supplies in Queensland Australia www.hss.net.au for $60 aus each.

They have a range of after market parts for the t3 including threaded replacement bolt handles so you can fit a oversized knob and trigger guard/mag well assembly that allows you to use Accuracy Internation mags.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x55 in the T3 lite stainless. Awesome rifle great shooting right out of the box. Easy 3/4" rifle with little work and with its favorite hand loads it's closer to a 1/2" gun.

Great utilitarian mountain type rifle not fancy just plain works. It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles and tends to be the one I grab for general hunting duties.

3-7-77

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my T3 in .223. Very accurate, and has a great trigger. The only negatives are the expensive magazines and its dislike of feeding except from the magazine. Normal feeding and functioning from the magazine is super slick and reliable. A 6.5X55 would be a great choice for general hunting.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluedot:
I have a 6.5x55 in the T3 lite stainless. Awesome rifle great shooting right out of the box. Easy 3/4" rifle with little work and with its favorite hand loads it's closer to a 1/2" gun.

Great utilitarian mountain type rifle not fancy just plain works. It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles and tends to be the one I grab for general hunting duties.

That's the accuracy I had too! Fortunately the 7mm-08 I have now is just as good.
The Tikka T3 s/s light is the best value for the money on the market today. Every one I know who has one is pleased with it.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got two 6.5x55 Tikka T3's....along with several other T3s and earlier 595s....very fine rifle made in Finland by Sako...most Tikka T3 bashers complain of one action length...plastic magazine and other plastic parts..my advise for anyone in the market for a new big game rifle is to try a new Tikka...action is a smooth a butter....one screw safely adjusts trigger down to 30 oz...drilled for Leo two pc bases or comes with factory rings...which I never use or suggest using...how do they shoot ? Fantastic ! You can expect sub MOA groups with proper handloads and shooter...haven't seen or had one that wouldn't....pic shows my NIB 6.5x55 that I changed the stock on..I really like the walnut/SS appearance...my other working 6.5x55 T3 is a Laminated/SS that I also changed the stock on...great rifles..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's my #2 Tikka Swede in coyote mode....

Nikon 3-12 w/turrets calibrated out to 600 yds.

Nosler 120 BTs & H4831sc in Lapua brass

Five rd magazine that performs flawlessly..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 and like it, buy it for what it is. I suspect that the plastic parts may well look tidier in the future than the anodised bits on other light weight rifle such as the Rem 700.

I prefer walnut and blued steel, and have several rifles like that, the T3 wasn’t brought for it’s atheistically qualities, which is a good job and they were soon spoilt by fitted a sound moderator. To fit a sound moderator a walnut and blued steel rifle is a crime…………….

posted Hide Post
Great combination. The only thing I don't like about the T3 (and it's a minor thing that hasn't kept me from them) is the plastic bolt shroud - I don't mind the plastic on the trigger guard and magazine. There are now several companies like Roedale (Germany) and Hinterland Shooting Supplies (Australia) that offer replacement bolt shrouds made from machined aluminum for around $100 - problem solved for me. T3's are great shooters and I love those smooth actions. It would be a great rifle in 6.5x55mm (awesome caliber).

Posts: 16 | Location: The mountains of Utah | Registered: 16 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a T3 hunter in 6.5x55 and in the 3 years I've had it, the only niggle I've had is also the crap plastic bolt shroud but that's easily sorted as mentioned above. Although it's primarily my deer rifle, it's accuracy is gob smacking. Keeps up with the big rifle names in accuracy at 1000 yards no problem. I did stick a Farrell rail on it as it's a little banana like at those distances. Mine likes 140's best.
HTH

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote