which varmit rifle inn 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
if you want a decent out of the box 223 varmit which should you buy cz or tikka

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the CZ. I have the 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger and it shoots about everything great right out of the box. Curretnly shooting the HSM 40 grain berger load and can get 10 shots in 5/8" all the time. Last Sunday had 5 in 1" @ 200 yards. Single set trigger is great feature and most I have seen are pretty reasonably priced. I've really become a CZ fan in these smaller calibers particularly.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pick the CZ. I have three of their rifles and all are very accurate. My .223 is a Cooper and it is the cat's meow. I can't wait to aim it at prarie dogs again.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
cz hands down love all 4 of mine in the 527

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Someone has to pick the tikka. They are made in the same factory as the sako barrels and they are amazingly accurate. Either rifle is going to do a great job for you but for my money, I'm going with the tikka.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ varmint kevlar so ya know that i'm saying to you, or the Cooper with a custom twist but you have to wait a year.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
Pics of mine are on here,

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 527 American and it's a tackdriver. 26 gr of H-335 and a good 50 grain bullet and I'm good to go. Ballistic Tips and V-Maxs will shoot under a 1/2 inch with that load from my rifle.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I share the CZ sentiments and have the Varmint laminate in .223, love the single set triggers. It's favorite bullet is the 40 grain Sierra BlitzKing but does real well with the standard Sierra 50 grainer as well. It is indeed a solid half inch rifle with good handloads if I do my part (I did bed it, the HS Precision Kevlar version has an aluminum bedding block and wont need bedding. I've used several as platforms for various wildcats and it's my favorite 527).
Having said that I am currently working up loads on a new Tikka in .22-250. So far only break-in and loading, (to cold for the range). It's the first Tikka I've been around but it impresses the hell outa me so far. The barrel broke in to zero blue after a shot and then clean to bare metal with two, "count em 2" rounds. (I've had Lilgas, Pac-Nors and Shilen's and never had one of them do that). Barrels smoother than a babies butt!
Trigger adjusted to a titch under 2lbs with a twist of a 2.5MM allen wrench.
If this thing shoots as well as the rest of it's put together (and I'll be amazed if it don't), it'll be a "HECK" of a bargain. I'd get the T3 Varmint version.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat and probably will before long.
No bad choices between these two.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 blued T-3 Lites, a .243 and a .300 WM. They also shoot very well, but I think the CZ beats the .243 and is a much handier rifle, to boot. The .243 is a 1/2 to 3/4 inch rifle with loads it likes while the .300 is under an inch. Of course, the .300 thumps a bit since it is so light! I've had 3 Tikkas, and they have all been great shooters and like mentioned above, very smooth bores.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot a CZ but my t3 is a hell of a shooter. The barrel is very very smooth.

Posts: 127 | Location: Central Mn | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
None of the above, suggest the Bushmaster lower, Compass Lake Eng. flat top upper w/ Krieger barrel in 8 twist, Compass Lake trigger and suggest you use the 24" barrel. With that twist, trigger, good optics, varmints would live a very tense/short life out to and beyond 600 yards w/ the right loads. Bolt guns will not do any better in accuracy and certainly do not have the total versatility as the 15 platform. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Savage 12fl! i have a 12FLV same thing but mine is a lefty. Mine will shoot under 1/2 inch groups all day long. I have a 22-250. Best deal going for 479.99

Posts: 7 | Location: mn | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello,
None of the above, suggest the Bushmaster lower, Compass Lake Eng. flat top upper w/ Krieger barrel in 8 twist, Compass Lake trigger and suggest you use the 24" barrel. With that twist, trigger, good optics, varmints would live a very tense/short life out to and beyond 600 yards w/ the right loads. Bolt guns will not do any better in accuracy and certainly do not have the total versatility as the 15 platform. Good luck.

Sounds like a nice rifle. How much? The Tikka I just got was $570.00 and my last CZ was about the same. Don't even have to chase brass with either of em Wink. I disagree politely with the versatility aspect, both have different applications that they do very well but I don't agree the semi auto is a better rifle and more versatile.
Have you ever tried to drive around in a 6 section prairie dog town with a guy shooting out both sides of a pickup truck using a semi auto?

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in 223, and LOVE it! It's the Prestige model with the good Walnut stock.
Mine shoots three shots into a 3/8" group at 100 yards.

Don