THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Sako Vixen, .222 Rem, Heavy Barrel??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako Vixen, .222 Rem, Heavy Barrel??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mike:

Canjar and I think also Timney, make an adjustable trigger for the rifle you are looking to buy.

I've used lots of different rings on the small Sakos [Leupold, Warne, Millett, Burris---I think] and after trying the Optilock, I'll never use anything else. The Sako integral bases have a half moon cut-out or recess at the back of the rear base which serves as a receptable for a stud on the underside of the Optilock ring. This prevents the ring from moving forward and thus means that it reattaches to the same point every time. The Optilock is thus a "quick-detach, return-to-zero" mounting system. Also, they are now available with a lever, obviating the need for an allen wrench. Yes. They are expensive. But I think you'll find that they're worth every penny.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Jordan, you seem well informed and your input about quality in the Optilok rings gels with what other posters have mentioned in here. It is interesting that the Optiloks seem to have the same feature (synthetic inserts) as the Burris Signature. A lot of people like those inserts.

Since I wrote my initial post, I also spotted the Timney trigger. A Timney is hardly a bench rest trigger, but if the Sako trigger can't be adjusted far enough down to suit my taste, the Timney would be a viable alternative. Having tried a Canjar on a Weatherby MkV, I don't think I'll go that route. Maybe it was the combination of trigger and smith, but I ended up not using that expensive Canjar after all...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I would not know what to do without you! There is just a ton of experience available in here - quite apart from having fun chatting about rifles.

I think a twist-rate around 1-14 is the best guess, no other numbers have been mentioned, and that is also the current twist rate used by Sako.

I'll see what will be done about the trigger when I get the rifle (bought it yesterday, need to send check today). I'll have to consider the Timney, and at the back of my mind the Canjar is still popping up - although I know I should stay away from it if I want to avoid frustration... Pity you can't get the triggers Sako used to put on their earlier PPC models (externally adjustable), they were GREAT triggers! I primarily want to use the gun at the range, so a light trigger would be great.

Likewise, I'll have to take the gun apart and figure out whether it needs a bedding job, if yes, that is not a desaster either.

Does anybody know what Sako Optilocks cost, I have yet to see them advertized anywhere on the web??

I'll see if I can post some pictures of the rifle in the next couple of days, just for laughs. Thanks again for taking time to share this with me.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote