Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger for deer/antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Has anyone shot deer or antelope with a 204? I'm curious about the results, ranges and bullet selection. Those who just think it's a bad idea need not reply, unless they have actually tried it. I'm only interested in facts and results as I'm not wishing to start another flame war.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'm not flaming, or commenting on effectiveness, but as far as legality goes, nothing below a .22 centerfire is legal to use for "big game," in Louisiana at least.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Good point. The # of states that allow this are probably fewer than I thought. It does pass the smell test in my state. 1000ftpounds from rifle and 500 from a pistol.

SD big game laws
Deer and Antelope-Shoulder-held firearms using ammunition factory rated to produce at least 1,000 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle, and handguns using ammunition that is factory rated to produce at least 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle, may be used to hunt deer and antelope. Only softpoint or expanding bullets are permitted. - Most common center-fire rifle calibers meet the minimum standards. Among calibers NOT legal are: .17 Remington, .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .25-20, .30 Carbine, .32-30, .38-40 and the .44-40

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many states that allow 22 caliber centerfires for big game don't allow anything under 22 caliber, so we may never get to follow a "204 Ruger vs. 17 Remington on Antelope?" thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being able to comment unless we have tried the "stunt" already is a limiting factor that only allows other stuntmen to comment, not a fair discussion in my opinion.
I shoot a goodly number of .17 and .20 caliber rifles, most wildcats. I have a .204 but even it is a wildcat technically in that it has a custom chamber that is minimum spec with the free-bore removed. I also shoot it's near ballistic twin (albeit with a much better brass selection) the .20 Tactical and a bruiser of a .20 called the .20 Dasher based on an improved 6MM BR case with a 40 degree shoulder. Both the .204 and .20 Tactical have a working load using the 40 grain bullets at 3,850ish FPS, those two loads actually develop 1,000 FPE out to 150ish yards. My .20 Dasher makes over a 1,000FPE out to 225ish with it's muzzle velocity of 4,210 with a 40grainer.
All that said, energy is only part of the equation. Bullet construction and sectional density not to mention all the variables is the rest of it. I've shot p-dogs at 400 or 500 yards with 40 grain Berger's and had crawl offs and I've shot rockchucks at 200 and had a 40 V-Max's or 39 grain BlitzKing's explode on entry just as they were designed to do. Hornady made the 45 grain SP bullet cause the 40's were being used on coyotes and were ruining fur due to the fact they would hydraulic on entry and the 45 grainer while tougher construction still only has a sectional density of .155.
I live in Montana and we have zero caliber restrictions on big game, I can use a .22 Long Rifle on moose if I choose to "legally". Do I ? Of course not. Why? For the same reasons I don't hunt deer and elk with with .20 calibers, I respect the animals. Will a .204 kill deer? Without doubt! "If" everything goes perfect, one variable goes south and a deer takes off with a hole in it the size of a grapefruit.
Look at this picture of a huge Alaskan Brown Bear that was taken with a .17 caliber rifle.

This picture was taken back in the sixties buy Vern O'Brien who is the guy who is credited with the development of the .17 MachIV (although P. O. Ackley actually did it).
Here's the note that goes with it. A .17 Magnum by the way is a .17 caliber wildcat developed on the .222 Mag. case I believe. This note was sent to "Atkinson and Marquart Rifle Company", it was sent after a "Glacier Bear" hunt Vern had been on (note the prices in the 60's and that was for a fancy custom rifle! Eeker ). This story was used as advertising for the companies .17 caliber rifles back then by the way and you talk about opinions!!! My uncle the game warden went ballistic Mad.

To me what that tells ya is you can kill anything with anything. But why Confused????
Keep in mind that my whole gun-safe just about is filled with sub .22 calibers, wildcats and otherwise. I love em!!! But they ain't big game rifles. .204 caliber projectiles are in no way designed to take big game. Then again when I shot a 6X6 Mulie buck with my .44 Mag handgun a few years back a bunch of guys thought that made me a slob hunter too. But the deer was still dead Wink.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Great info.

I wonder how long it took him to light that smoke? Eeker

While some may hunt bear with sharp sticks, I would not. I wouldn't hunt deer in Grizz country with a small cal either.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably lit it right after he changed his shorts Big Grin.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have seen his face when the bear sit up after the first shot and he was still standing there armed only with his little “stunt” gun. I think the last sentence of his message tells his true feelings about that. Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't personally have experience with the 204 on deer but I know several that think they are great for deer. These individuals have all discussed shots within 100yds and were all neck shot just behind the head. We shoot a number of deer (10-12) each year with 223's but we also limit our shots to broad side only and generally within 200yds. We use the 63gr Sierra for the 223. We have not lost a deer yet with the 223. I should add here that we primarily use the 223 for does due to the low noise of the 223 compared to larger calibers.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used a .204 on deer as part of cull operation. A headshot with a 35gr Berger is an instant and impressive kill, however, I would never use or recomend such a small cartridge for a hunting round. It is not often that you have enough time to pull out your sand bags and make a head shot while hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
" i don't want to go through that again"......
shooting the bear with that teensie- weensie little pop-gun, or cleaning out his shorts in that cold weather!?

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he meant dropping trou to change his shorts. Them big brass cajoneys that fella had to be packin get cold real quick in that kinda weather Cool .

Seriously though and back on topic I'm sure if a fella has the restrain to take nothing but head shots and everything goes perfect (which it seldom does while hunting) a .204 will kill em deader than fried chicken. So will a .22 Magnum for that matter. I seen a video advertisement the other day of some idiot hunting (and killing) what looked like a good size wild hog with some new Gamo pellet from a pellet gun. I know what a problem wild hogs are in some places, but still and all I know I'll never buy another Gamo product as long as I live because of it. That's just a personal choice. Kinda like hunting Alaskan Brown bears with a .17 Magnum.
Hunting whitetails with a .204 however is considerably less questionable to me than the other two I mentioned. Guess we all have to do our own thinkin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot a 204 Ruger, but I do shoot a Tac 20. Pretty much the same.
Here is a picture of a small hog I nailed at say, 120 yds. Loading 40 gr v-max over reloader 10x. Head shot as you can see.

After seeing the damage that this little bullet does, I have no doubt it will kill a deer or hog with correct shot placement at reasonable ranges.
I'm planning on trying it on a large boar and maybe a doe later this fall. It will be a head shot for sure on both. I will post results on this forum as to my success or failure.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I have no doubt it will kill a deer or hog with correct shot placement at reasonable ranges.

GWB

Looks like a great quote of the day thumb

I spoke with a few game wardens this last week about the 204 subject. The first was convinced of his own opinion that the 223 was the legal minimum. When I asked him to point me to this in the game laws, he got a little pissy. When I read the SD caliber restriction I posted above in this thread to him, he replied, "You just want to argue about this, don't you?" He seemed quite agitated that I didn't take his word off the bad and that I had the ability to read and think for myself. He said that the 22 calibers and smaller shouldn't be used for deer/antelope. I asked him if he had used them on deer/antelope? Long pause........He said 22-250. I pressed if he had used the 223 and after another pause, replied "yes, but that's not the point." Then I asked if he had bad experience with deer/antelope running off after being shot with shot with small calibers, or had heard of such. another pause...replied, "no, but that's not the point." Then he volunteered that "they (sdgfp)" were trying to eliminate the use of 22 and smaller for big game in SD. I thanked him for his time and later spoke with the warden in my county. He was also of the opinion that 223 was minimum. I politely told him I was thinking of trying my 204 and read the caliber restriction stating the 1000ftlbs. He admitted that I could use it if factory ammo was loaded to 1000#. I also asked if he had used the 223 with good success and he replied that it had worked for him in the past but would not recommend it for longer shots. Then I asked about the mentored hunting here where a 10 year old could hunt deer/antelope with a mentor. He said his son was 10 this year and was excited about hunting this year. I set up the question with stating that the recoil of the 223 was very tolerable for little guys and asked about the caliber he would be shooting and I never remember getting a reply. I told him that I had talked to another warden and asked about the sdgfp trying to eliminate the use of 22 and smaller for big game in SD. He said he'd heard nothing about it.

The first guy I talked to is not someone I'd want to get stopped by. The second guy seemed like someone I could have a beer with. beer

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I don't shoot a 204 Ruger, but I do shoot a Tac 20. Pretty much the same.
Here is a picture of a small hog I nailed at say, 120 yds. Loading 40 gr v-max over reloader 10x. Head shot as you can see.

After seeing the damage that this little bullet does, I have no doubt it will kill a deer or hog with correct shot placement at reasonable ranges.
I'm planning on trying it on a large boar and maybe a doe later this fall. It will be a head shot for sure on both. I will post results on this forum as to my success or failure.
GWB

Head shot?? What head??? Big Grin
That one looks about the right size for a nice big pot of Chile Verde Geedubya, what times supper???