THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Just started loading for my rifles

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just started loading for my rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been reloading for a couple years now for my handguns, and decided I need to started loading for some of my rifles. Actually it really started with an obsession to reload for the Winchester 94 in 25-35 WCF that has been sitting in my father's safe forever--as it was my Grandmother's who loved to shoot with my Grandfather. I am just a "plinker" and not a fan of recoil, so thought this was the perfect opportunity to get the old Winchester out of the safe and putting some rounds downrange, and let me shoot a levergun. Plus I had inherited a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle from my Grandfather when he passed, and since .223 is getting up there in price it seemed like another good round to start reloading. Anyway, enough with the rambling, here is a pic of my first test rounds.

On the left are 25-35's loaded with 19grs of Benchmark and Hornady 117gr BTSP (will only shoot one at a time to avoid any chance of detonation issues). The .223 rounds are loaded with 22grs of Benchmark and Hornady 55gr FMJ w/cannelure. Hoping to try them out this weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know how they shoot.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a plinker and not a fan of recoil---you are the perfect candidate for casting your own bullets. It's not rocket science--get into it and you'll probably love it. Best place to start in my opinion is get a Lyman reloading Manual. Get their standard version, it has cast data as well as jacketed data and information about casting.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1,

I recently picked up some casting equipment:Lyman Casting 3rd edition, Lee 10 lb melting pot, a couple molds & handles, thermometer, RCBS LAM II, and a couple sizing dies and top-punches. Fortunately, my father-in-law who got me into reloading, also casts, and has given me a few lessons. Have the stuff to cast for 38/357, need to get a mold for 45acp. Hopefully will be casting my own by next year, as I have a few more small additions I need to add to my reloading bench.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman I have a new title for you U.S.C.B recruiter. That's United States Cast Bullet recruiter. I guess that recruiting stuff stick in your blood. You're doing a good job, keep it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. Novalty--I'll tell you a story about my first shooting cast bullets in a rifle---30-06. I had two loadings worked up to try. One was using 4064 powder and the velocity was around 2400fps--about like a 30-30 and that's what if felt like, recoil wise. I shot that first. Then I shot some loads using UNIQUE and velocity was down to about 1600 fps. I thought a misfire, very little recoil and blast. Pressure in cast bullets is much lessened. You wont wear out a barrel with cast bullets.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 25 35 rounds look sexy! Nice set up and good luck!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments lal. Thought the 25-35's came out nice, I did send a question to Hornady regarding their seater die as it is leaving a marred ring on the leads when it seats. Currently waiting for the RCBS Case activation kit and powder expanders to come in for the Uniflow on my Redding T7.

Carpetman1, I hadn't considered casting for the 25-35, but might have to consider it after I get through this box of Hornady BTSP's. But guessing as much as I will be shooting it, this box of 100 is going to last me a little while. I don't shoot a ton of rounds, probably 1,000 - 1,500 pistol rounds per year, and probably 300 rifle rounds. Which is why I went with the Turret over a progressive, figured it would help speed up my pistol production.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to ask, What do you use the salt for?
BTW nice bench setup and good looking rounds.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlueCan:

Zombies and supernatural creatures ..... shocker

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlueCan:
BTW nice bench setup and good looking rounds.

I was wondering when that was going to be asked, I store spent primers in the salt container. Figured if it got dropped off the bench the primers wouldn't go everywhere.

Thanks for the compliment on the bench, and the loaded rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by novalty:

I was wondering when that was going to be asked, I store spent primers in the salt container. Figured if it got dropped off the bench the primers wouldn't go everywhere.

Thanks for the compliment on the bench, and the loaded rounds.

I knew there had to be some reason. I was hoping that maybe you mixed it in with your hunting rounds in order to pre-season the meat!

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree those are good looking rounds, but those spitzer bullets for you model 94 shouldn't be loaded end to end in the tube magazine, for safety reasons. (If you are already savvy to this, I apologize)

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luckyducker, I plan on just using the Winchester 94 as a single shot on these rounds to avoid primer detonation in the tube. Got to good of a deal on the box of Hornady lead not to use them. Hopefully they be fun for plinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got out to shoot my first reloads for the 25-35. Had to feed them in one at time from the top, and shot them from approximately 15 yards, I know it isn't very far but just wanted to see how they shot. From a standing position I put all 6 rounds in approximately a 2" group using the factory buckhorn sights. Will try to post a pic of the target tomorrow. What a pleasure it was to put some rounds downrange in my Grandmother's old Winchester levergun--she may have been the last one to shoot it since it has been sitting in my father's safe unused for as long as I can remember. With 19 grains of Benchmark it was extremely light recoil, which my arthritic joints appreciated. One thing I was surprised by was how clean the cases were--didn't seen any tarnishing or powder residue after firing. I can see this quickly becoming one of my favorite range guns.