New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 Rem Mag from 204 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those who have done it, do 222 Mag cases formed from 204R come out at the correct length, longer, shorter? I need a couple hundred more cases and they don't seem to be available right now except at high cost in the secondary market so I was thinking of reforming from the readily available 204. Just want to understand how much trimming may be involved. I know the shoulder gets set back so a doughnut in the neck might require turning too.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Seems like you can.

Here is a thread about it

http://sakocollectors.com/foru...-222-mag-brass.7536/

It's old, but the last few posts are new, so follow go for it.

The guy seemed quite happy, but he seemed to want to use the 204 brass for lead only and keep the "real" brass for real loads, but probably worth a try.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it as well. One pass through my 222remmag FL sizer, fireform, and they are ready.

Lube the bodies and the inside of the necks before running through the FL die.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 6 x 47 brass by just sizing in the .222 mag die and shooting. Used the chrome match cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mulerider777:
I have used the 6 x 47 brass by just sizing in the .222 mag die and shooting. Used the chrome match cases.

Do you have a source for said brass? I couldn't find a single piece currently for sale.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gzig5
Sure haven't. This was in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Some shooters were using the 6 x 47 for benchrest competition. I do not have any more or you would be welcome to them. Still have the .222 mag though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste 222 mag cases necking down to 204. They are hard to find. Also, depending on your rifles chamber, the necks may be too thick on the downsized 222 mag cases. Just buy 204 brass.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I miss read you post and you want to go the other way. Making 222 mag from 204 will probably work fine if you have a tapered expander in your die. The cases will be a little short, but I have never worried about that.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote