Find
Notify
Tools

53 grn XXX....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I looked at some of these at the shop not long ago and wondered how they'd stabilize in rifles with a 14 twist. They are rather long when compared to regular .224 bullets as are all solid copper bullets.

Any of you tried these from a 14 twist? Do they seem to give you descent accuracy?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are referring to the Barnes Triple Shock, I have wondered the same thing. Barnes website shows an asterik by the heavier ones indicating there may be problems, but not with the 53. Like everything else, it can vary gun to gun. Try some and see what happens. Worse case scenario you got some more shooting time!! The Barnes that I used to shoot in my 7 mag always liked faster loads the best.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've tried them in a 1 in 12 twist at high velocity and they were ok, not the most accurate when compared to other options but very acceptable.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used them in a 1:14 Kimber 22-250 with excellent results, under 1/2moa at 100 yards.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them with excellent results in a 1:14 22-250. Groups were consistent and under 1/2 moa at 100 yards.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They would sure be a never fail coyote bullet. They will always exit and don't come apart.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a few out of my 22-250 and they shoot about .75-1" groups consistently.

I have used this bullet to shoot a bunch of deer the last few years. It flat works. I have never recovered one.

quote:
They would sure be a never fail coyote bullet. They will always exit and don't come apart

I agree 100% with that statement from what I've seen on deer.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
It probably depends on the cartridge. At 22-250 velocities you're going to be fine; launching them in a 1:14 twist from a .221 fireball may be another story.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It probably depends on the cartridge. At 22-250 velocities you're going to be fine; launching them in a 1:14 twist from a .221 fireball may be another story.

Very good point.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theoretically, out of a 221 they should be OK as Barnes says their bullets open at fairly low velocity. Just speculation as I have no small caliber experience with Barnes. They are definitely the best choice out there for making a deer gun out of a small caliber gun, though.
Did you get higher velocities from the 22-250 than with regular bullets? Barnes states that many times you do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, a faster velocity will stabilize longer bullets, so that is why the .22-250 is certain, but slower velocity may not be. I am working up loads for my .218 Mashburn Bee and hope to get about 2900fps. Any experience with this bullet at that velocity with 14 twist?

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader-I've worked with the 53TSX in several '250's and all of them were 14 twist.

I used Varget and R15 and all of them shot sub moa with no work at all.

It is a super bullet for lopes/deer/and for being fur friendly on yotes.

I'd say get after it.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote