THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    20 Tactical from Military 223 brass

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Tactical from Military 223 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm kind of pulled between the 20 Tactical and the 204 Ruger. As far as performance, there seems to be very little difference!

Can brass for the 20 Tactical be readily reformed from military 223 brass? Is there anything special, neck turning, reaming, etc. that needs to be done?

I am thinking of getting a 26 inch Encore barrel made for one of the 20 calibers but I'm not sure which one!

What about reloading dies? Does RCBS make dies for the TAC?

Thanks

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well, if you are in somewhat of a hurry don't invest in the ruger right now, I sent off a bunch of inquiries to various die makers a while ago and apparently Ruger hasn't sent the dimensions to SAAMI yet, so it may be a while.

You should be able to form the 20 tacticcal brass from military cases, though you would want to anneal them first.

Nice thing about the 20 tactical is there is no need to ream or neck turn, Todd Kindler designed it that way.

Look for another post I'm writing right now regarding 20 Tactical dies.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works fine Chuck, in fact the brass most used is IMI, I've also used Lake City and had good results. I use 2 form dies made by Redding and Reddings full size die. I also neck size after forming with a Wilson bushing die and seat the bullets with Wilsons in line seater, my loaded ammo has less than .0005 run out. All the above can be purchased from Todd Kindler at "The Woodchuck Den Inc." in Ohio, Todd by the way developed the Tact.20 and is a great guy to call for info or supplies. As to turning necks, I had Pac-Nor barrel and chamber mine (great work, good prices, love their 3 groove barrel) they use Kindlers original design which calls for a .233 neck. A Hornady 33 grain V-Max seated in an IMI case mic's .2285 so it's reasonably tight but no turning required. My rifle was a Remington Varmint Synthetic and it shoots bug holes at about 4,250ish using 24 grains of powder. The availability of geat inexpensive brass would lean me to the Tact.20 even if I didn't already have one, .222 mag brass is hard to find and not of the quality of some of the .223 stuff. I love my Tactical .20. ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote