Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Rem Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
I wonder if anyone one here has had a similar experience with a .17 Rem. I built one on a Rem 700 action with a shilen barrel, Tubb lug and Choate stock. With 23 grs of varget and a berger 25 gr bullet. It has shot numerous .2 and .3 inch 5 shot groups. Recently, I found a number of rounds beginning to Keyhole at 100yrds. I'm also seeing pressure signs on Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, paticularily on the Keyholing shots. The barrel is really hard to get clean and I've begun to clean it with JB after every 10 shots. Following this procedure, the gun is grouping again at least with 20 gr bergers. I wonder if the barrel fouling is causing the keyholing bullets or wheter I just got some bad Bergers. Anyone have any ideas?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Rob,
The .17's seem to be notorious for copper fouling and accuracy loss. I clean mine after every 10 rounds religiously with a mixture of 2/3 Shooters choice & 1/3 Kroil. I run 3-4 patches soaked in solvnet thru the barrel and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes, then I'll wrap a patch around a nylon brush and soak it with solvent, then another solvent soaked patch and then patch it dry. I can't imagine it's the Berger bullets, since they're the best I've ever shot thru my .22 Hornet (haven't gotten any .17's yet, since they've been on backorder forever!).
Hope this helps,
George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, You might want to "bite the bullet" so to speak and begin Moly Coating those tiny bullets.

Each of the bullets I put through my rifles is Moly Coated and it seems to help me in every caliber. Now, before I mislead you, let me say I DO NOT have a .17cal rifle. I do know a lot of folks on various Preditor Boards claim great improvements with their 17cal rifles when they use Moly though.

It can be a bit aggravating to get on the bullets, until you get the hang of it. Best tip I know is to soak the bullets in "Dawn" dishwashing soap and real hot water for about 30min. Stir them around a bit every 10min or so. Then rinse well in more hot water. DO NOT touch them with your hands as oil from your skin will be transfered back to the bullets.

Spread them out on a towel in the sun and they will dry in just a few minutes. THEN begin the Moly Coating process and things will go much much better.

Here is a link to the best article I've seen on Moly yet. It is a bit long, but well worth the read. Be sure to note the "amount" of bullets Norma ran through that "hot" 6.5mm with no discernable loss of accuracy.

www.precisionshooting.com/aug98.html will get you to the article.

Good luck to you.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote