New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm rem for whitetails
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

I recently got a 6mm remington 700 with varmint barrel.

I want to put together a load for whitetails for my son to shoot. I was looking at the 100gr partitions, but am willing to listen to any recommendations. The rifle shoots factory remington 100 grain loads pretty well, but being on the frugal side and also because I enjoy handloading, I want to see if I can do better.

Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 100 gr Hornady Interlock SpirePoint for years at whitetails and never had on run more then 30 fet after the shot. I have also had great success with the 95 gr Barnes X BT in my .243.

Posts: 11 | Location: Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You certainly won't go wrong with 100 grain Partitions, although such a sophisticated bullet is not needed simply for deer in this caliber. I have also had good luck with 100 grain Sierras and the old 100 grain Nosler Solid Base bullets. All in all, any 100 grainer that shoots good in this rifle will do just fine for deer. So will the 90's and 95's.

I liked the old surplus 4831 in this caliber, but the current Hodgdon version or IMR 7828 should do well.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting 85gr TSX's at about 3250fps from my 243. Kills deer like a charm!

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The 100 gr. Partition will work just fine as will the 85 gr. TSX. One rule of thumb I always go by is, the smaller the caliber the greater the need for premium bullets on big game. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
85g TSX as fast as you can push it..........

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last buck I shot was at 80 yards facing me. 95 gr Noser partition out of a .243 high center chest shot and a nice 8 point buck never moved out of his tracks. 34 grs Varget was my poweder load. Nice and accurate. FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who replied. I am going to get to work with loading these as soon as the dies and bullets arrive.
I have some IMR 4350 on hand, but will also check out some of the other powders mentioned above.
I appreciate all the info!
Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
The combo of 100 grain Hornady BTSP inter-lock and 4350 powder in the 6MM is excellent . Mule deer , Whitetails , Blacktails , Hogs , and Coyotes .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first mule deer with a 6 MM Remington 100 grain factory load. The bullet hit just behind the left shoulder and broke the right shoulder just under the scapula and ended up under the hide. Shot many deer with the 85 grain Sierra BTHP, the Hornady 100 grain flat base spire point and my new favorite the 105 Speer hotcor. I shot a few with the Nosler 100 grain partition and experienced less than optimum results on broadside shots not involving the shoulder. My favorie powders are IMR 4350 and 4831.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
FWIW, When shooting my auto I used 41.5grs. IR4350 with the Hornady 100gr. bullet, inch @100yds for 5 shots(not bad), when I tried that load in my 700 Varmint special, the rifle didn't seem to like that combo, though I didn't work on it too much, basically i was just trying a few bullets of that load for fouling shots for my varmint weight bullets, btw, Nosler got the best results for the 6mmREM from RE19, per their manual. Jay
Nosler-1-800-285-3701

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Of the few deer I've shot with my 6mm Auto, since been sold, all were instant kills, cept for a spine shot due to my lack of proper sighting-in. At any rate, the first one I shot was hit high in the shoulder, and had the bullet not traversed at a 45degree angle and clipped the spine, the deer would've gotten away, btw, instant kill, that being said, placement is very critical with the 6mm, if I were using the 6mm again, I'd opt for a very well made bullet, or place the shot away from the shoulder. RE19 or 4831 seem to be very good powders for it, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a dyed in the wool Nosler fan, but I would not recommend a Nosler or Monolithic bullet in calibers lighter than 270 and thats marginal IMO.....

Sometimes these bullet just do not leave a good blood trail even when the do massive internal damage..Fat plugs up the sometimes small exit hole when the front end or petals blow off these bullets...not so with 30 caliber and larger in my experience....I have had this happen on more than several ocassions..as a result I use 30 caliber and larger for deer.

I would use a Hornady, Corelokt or some good conventional bullet in all smaller calibers such as the 6mm and smaller....

Posts: 41890 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote