THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    ruger 77/22hornet accuracy (or lack of)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger 77/22hornet accuracy (or lack of)
 Login/Join

posted
i picked up the hornet(new) for a walkin' rifle and tried loading with 2400 and 45gr sierras. managed to group 2 (about 1/2")and one flyer to open the group upto 2"repeatedly!...frustrating! going to switch to Lil Gun with fireformed cases, neck sizing, and 40gr v-max later but would like to eliminate "the flyer" first. read some about ruger's 2 piece bolt and excessive play (wobble) fix by using a washer. wondered if anyone has had similar problems and success with a "bolt tightening". i'm aware of "production costs" but why did ruger have to make the bolt that way.

Posts: 12 | Location: UPstate N.Y. | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
If you wanted a Hornet you shoulda bought the CZ.

The Ruger 77/22 Hornet is the most disappointing rifle I ever owned and I'll never forgive Ruger for it. Mad

When I called them and complained about poor accuracy, 4" groups, I was told that was acceptable to them.

Matter of fact sell it ASAP and go buy a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet and save yourself the headaches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:

The Ruger 77/22 Hornet is the most disappointing rifle I ever owned and I'll never forgive Ruger for it. Mad

When I called them and complained about poor accuracy, 4" groups, I was told that was acceptable to them.

Matter of fact sell it ASAP and go buy a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet and save yourself the headaches.

My sentiments and experience exactly. The LilGun might help but don't hold your breath. I have heard that rechambering to K Hornet will result in a more accurate rifle. Good luck, I think you'll need it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
My 77/22H was a 1/2" to 3/4" @ 100 yards shooter fairly soon as I began to understand very careful handloading for it. Case annealing is important for neck tension and accuracy. Powder selection is important as in many other guns . Neck sizing eliminated possible impact the "so-called" 2 piece bolt problem. A trigger tune helps a lot. Careful selection of projectiles is important because of chamber throating and magazine length. Yepper, lots of detail worjk to get one shooting just like anybody else's production gun.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had 3 or 4 ruger hornets and they all shot quite well. but before i shoot them i always bed the action, which has always been needed, and then i rechamber for K hornet. flyers have been the hornets problem since it was invented. that was the main reason the wildcatters did the k

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77/Hornet shot 2" groups with frequent fliers when I first bought it, now, it shoots sub moa consistently.

First off, get a Timney Spring & Sear kit to lighten the trigger pull.

Next, try Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer. Even Federal loads the Hornet with small pistol primers.

Also, I use a Lee Collet die to neck size only.

These minor steps have made 2 Ruger 77/Hornets shoot very, very well. My most accurate load is a Sierra 52gr HPBTM over 11.7gr Lilgun and chrono's about 2650fps. Slightly less acurate is my coyote load of a Barnes 45gr XLC over 13.0grs Lilgun which chronos about 2925fps.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I have found with most of these pretty little rifles is about 3 tons of pressure under the barrel. Do as butchbloc says and bed the action ALSO freefloat the barrel. This [and lilgun] will most likely solve most of your problems. Neck sising also helps greatly.
Aloha, mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spent more time trying to find an accurate reloads for my Hornet rifle than any other rifle I have owned. The cases are thin and they need trimming each time before reloading. If you keep the rifle have it re chambered to a K Hornet. Try Lil Gun powder with small pistol primers with 45 Gr bullets. If you trade it off go for the 221 Fireball round ,its eazy to reload . My Hornet sets in the gun case since getting the Fireball rifle.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger Model 77 in 22 Hornet shoots very well. The last group I shot with it at 50 yards measured 1/4" for three shots.
I have three 22 Hornets, and have shot two of them so far, the third being a new one I just bought. The other two shoot 10.2 grains of H-110 with 45 grain Sierra Hornet bullets best. I tried many different loads using Lil-Gun, and it didn't deliver accuracy equal to H-110. I use small pistol primers and crimp bullets.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk did an article in some varmint magazine, he told me the Ruger was the biggest piece of crap he had ever seen...He totally rebuilt the one he had...

I have no clue, but they are about the cutest thing around....I would love to have one that shot sub minute...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:

Same thing for me too! I was able to find one load that shot better than the rest. Was with the 40gr ballistic tips but had to seat the bullet out so far they wouldn't fit in the clip.

My sentiments and experience exactly. The LilGun might help but don't hold your breath. I have heard that rechambering to K Hornet will result in a more accurate rifle. Good luck, I think you'll need it.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best accuracy upgrade for my Ruger77/22 by far was my trading it off towards a CZ.

The Ruger Hornet is a real turd! It's kinda funny as mine was the "target" version. Yet I could shoot better groups with my SKS

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or try some Win factory loads as a comparison to your reloads.

Re tightening the bolt gap, I noticed on my .22RF it was very loose, but when decocked out of the action it seemed quite tight. You couldn't fit a shim in there.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger makes several very nice and accurate bolt action rifles in........223 Smiler

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for the replys. i knew i was getting myself into a real mess to say the least. i've always liked the little rifle and wanted to try one. knew the hornet was finicky but still worth the work...i floated the barrel right out of the box,then started reloading but wasn't prepared for the 2 piece bolt factor.
k-22 hornet...the Timney sear and spring kit will go in before the next trip to the range and will try the small pistol primers.
don't want to give up on the rifle yet...need to find a cure for the bolt wobble...Ruger should have done a better job!!! always "thought" this 77/22 hornet would make a great kids first varmint rifle...not the way they shoot out of the box though. have to agree, the CZ can out shoot the Ruger...i'll keep trying.

Posts: 12 | Location: UPstate N.Y. | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Jack Belk did an article in some varmint magazine, he told me the Ruger was the biggest piece of crap he had ever seen...He totally rebuilt the one he had...

I have no clue, but they are about the cutest thing around....I would love to have one that shot sub minute...

Ray,

I did do some rifle tweaking to get that accuracy with the 77/Hornet.
I opened up the barrel channel to free float the barrel, then I lapped the factory barrel, and installed a Rifle Basix trigger. I didn't glass bed the barrel and action in the stock as I wanted to see how it shot first.
My load is 10.2 grains of H-110 with Sierra 45 grain Hornet bullets, Federal Small Pistol primers, and I crimped the bullets with a Lee crimp die.
My 77/Hornet is a new one with a threaded barrel.
Based on the accuracy I'm getting, I can recommend a 77 in Hornet.

Also, based on another guy's good results, I bought a Browning Huntsman in 22 Hornet. It has GREAT balance and is light weight. I lapped the barrel on this one too, which I do with all barrels that are not lapped by the maker. I changed the trigger pull spring to a lighter one and it now breaks at 1 3/4 pounds, and is a good crisp break. When I removed the barrel and action from the stock, I was surprised to see that it was glass bedded at the factory. That's a first for me.
Haven't braved the cold an snow to test it yet.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same as Skinner. My 77-22 .22Hornet went back to the factory twice before it finally blew up. Remington said it was my reloads but replaced it anyway. Hmmmmm....?

Took the replacement directly to Jacqua's and traded for a 700 .223. Just took delivery of a CZ FS in .22 Hornet Smiler

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read much about the 'bolt wobble' of the M77, but I have done nothing about it in my rifle, or a friends M77. They both shoot very well, with the same loads.

While working up loads with Lilgun and a 45gr Sftpt, I started at 12.0grs and went up in .2gr increments. 12.0 through 12.6grs was mediocre accuracy, but 12.8 and 13.0 puckered right up. Small case's react quickly to small changes.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like someone to explain to me what effect the bolt tightening on the 77/Hornet does for accuracy.
I did nothing to the bolt on the 77/Hornet I have, and wonder how tightening it will help accuracy??

I do know that Randy at CPC does excellent work. He did some 10-22 work for me that was perfect.

Don

posted Hide Post
had a chance to take a closer look at the bolt "wobble" on the 77/22. front half looks like "powdered metal" and the back half looks like machined and ground bar stock (hardened). Ruger could have made a longer extension on the front half so it extends farther into the back half AND had less clearance between the extension OD and the ID on the back half. mine measures .434" OD and .440" ID. Ruger could have gotten away with .001 clearance instead of .006 and had a much tighter fit. probably would have required an extra machining step to grind the front bolt extension to size. as rar as installing a washer between the two halves...not much room, but possible. i wont be using a washer...only about .0025" clearance between bolt halves with an empty case in the chamber.
DMB...from what i can see, if one has a fire formed case in my rifle, the case can "push" back about .0025" after ignition. starting to make me wonder if messing with the bolt will help me much at all.
at this point i think i'll stick to neck sizing fire formed cases, Lil-Gun powder with small pistol primers and a trigger and sear kit before my next trip to the range.
thanks again to all for the input. i still think Ruger could have done a better job on this one and i still like the 77/22. if i can get it to shoot it will make a great kids first varmint rifle...by the way, looks like the next toy is going to be a Remington in .17 Fireball.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odione:
i picked up the hornet(new) for a walkin' rifle and tried loading with 2400 and 45gr sierras. managed to group 2 (about 1/2")and one flyer to open the group upto 2"repeatedly!...frustrating! going to switch to Lil Gun with fireformed cases, neck sizing, and 40gr v-max later but would like to eliminate "the flyer" first. read some about ruger's 2 piece bolt and excessive play (wobble) fix by using a washer. wondered if anyone has had similar problems and success with a "bolt tightening". i'm aware of "production costs" but why did ruger have to make the bolt that way.

When you kneck size you will tighten your bolt up alot. You will not like the 40 grn. V-Max in the 77/Hornet because you have to load your bullet to far back into the case to function in the magazine. I like 12 grns. of Lil-gun and Barnes 50 grn X and also 45 grn. win hollow points. Load as long as possable to the lands but to allow magazine for function.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try Lilgun and 35gr vmax. Those little cases are very fragile and susceptible to runout. I use Forster benchrest dies and they eliminate the runout completely. I use these loads in an 40 year old CZ, and it shoots very well. Choice of brass is important also as case capacity can vary - Rem brass offers good capacity.

posted Hide Post
I should also have mentioned - try Rem 6 1/2 primers. They are made for the purpose.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
WELL, ok, you are still at it so I suggest again thinking about always neck sizing to maintain maximum case, bolt front, and bolt lock up tightness. The thin cases in the Hornet require anneal frequently to maintain consistent bullet pull. That's an accuracy factor! especially with a long throat. A moderate crimp may help consistency too. Try H110/WW296 as well as lilgun, and 4227, and R 1 1/2 primers. You can load up to make primer pockets leak but they won't punch through. Always use a collet die to neck size. Check loaded cartridge concentricity as it is critical in factory dimensioned chambers. Select bullets very carefully even though you are in love with plastic tips. The object is to get closer to the rifling for many bullet selections. You can't do it with the Hornadys and still use the magazine. Try SMP styles or the little Speer short 40 grainer, maybe the Nosler solid bases if possible. MILL OUT THE PLASTIC FRONT OF YOUR MAGAZINE, and file the guide lips to significantly extend the loaded length they accept. Use tiny powder increments in load development. Check action screw tightness in changing weather conditions ,like dry in the house in the winter and humid out doors in spring varmint hunting. I have seen several of the 77/22H greatly improve with a bit of close attention to many details.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB,
Thanks for the heads up..I didn't know the barrel screwed in on the newer ones and that has to be a plus...They sure are cute little numbers and I just may have to have one if I can find one that shoots good..I would immediately run a Imp. chamber in it I suspect..

AS to "bolt wobble", I don't understand why that would be a problem unless it was doing that when closed, then that would be called headspace IMO...Bolt wobble insures proper feeding, the Mauser has more play than almost any action and its done well in battle and in the hunting fields...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, somehow I knew you'd want to drill the chamber. Smiler
But it's not bolt wobble in the action they're on about but between the lock-up section and the forward spacer section.

Another rumour I've heard with Hornet accuracy is that the U.S. rims were a bit thin (in a headspace fashion) compared to European brass.
A friend of mine "preened" his to make them thicker. Don't know if it worked or not, and the fella is now dead.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wanted to enjoy my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. It would just not keep a consistent point of impact. It would deliver [handloads]groups as small as 3/4" on occasion and then the whole group location would change a half to one inch away. I reamed it to 22 K Hornet with no change. I could have done this,,could have done that,,,but when I sold it and bought a CZ 527 I didn't have to do ANYTHING to get 1/2" groups with no change in group center location. I've since purchased several of the CZs to build 17 Ackley Hornets. I prefer a one piece bolt over the Ruger 2 piece [front and rear, lugs on rear] bolt.
I wouldn't mind tinkering with a Ruger 77/22 Hornet again,,but when it's so easy to have a Mauser design action that just doesn't NEED tinkering,,,the Ruger idea passes.
I'm a Ruger fan,,,I own several 77 Mark IIs and a couple of 77Rs. I've owned maybe 10 Ruger 77s in both early tang safety and later Mark II which I like better.
But for my Hornet 'anything',,it's CZ all the way and NO looking back to the 77/22.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the bullets from their rifles fly toward the target you are aiminmg at, the rifle is "up to their standards".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22 [RF] that is flat pretty BUT shitty in the accuracy dept. Having a Shilen barrel in .17 lying around looking unhappy I decided to make a .17 Mach 2. Surveying the action/barrel lockup I pondered?? No problem putting the new barrel on and machining a semi-dovetail for the wedge but!!it just looked yucky. I decided to make a jig for holding the action and then proceeded to line bore the receiver and thread it to .750x24. Why the threading? It was there!. BTW--If I do it again I`ll make it .750X16 or 18. Anyway the receiver is VERY gritty and cuts crappy but I did get good threads and but the new barrel on. Just like a regular hi-power rifle. Now!! This is a REAL shooter and more fun that a guy my age has a right to have! Here again I free floated the barrel and then bedded the action. Super accurate with all ammo except the new Remington stuff. Much more accurate than i can shoot anymore. I feel threading the barrel in made a BIG difference. My 77/22H is also threaded and I thought ALL were. I have seen 5-8 over the past 4 years or so and they were all threaded. Never knew any were the clamp on type.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I struggled to get good accuracy out of a 77/22 and sold it to buy a CZ.
Anybody need a NIB 77/22H magazine?
PM me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
similar problems and success with a "bolt tightening". i'm aware of "production costs" but why did ruger have to make the bolt that way.

Is the bolt loose when it is closed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ac_doc:
quote:
similar problems and success with a "bolt tightening". i'm aware of "production costs" but why did ruger have to make the bolt that way.

Is the bolt loose when it is closed?

Mine is not. And, that was the origin of my earlier question about why guys want to "fix" the two piece bolt. It doesn't pass the sanity test, in my mind anyway.

Don

posted Hide Post
thanks again to all for the replies...
ac doc...the bolt is not tight with an empty case in the chamber,checked clearance between bolt halves and have about .0025"
i'm going to concentrate my efforts on using fire formed cases,Lil-Gun powder,and pistol primers when the weather gets better. this winter has been a tough one and doesen't want to quit.
DMB...it sounds like you've been through the frustration before but found an answer to the problem. i had planned to change the sear and spring before i got started but jumped into it first. it's a great little walkin' rifle if it will shoot.
thanks again for the input.

posted Hide Post
onother thing you might wanna try with that gun is 50 grain nosler ballistic tips sized out as far you can get in the clip. I think i was shooting around 11 grains with lil gun, i went through alot of bullets with mine also and now i have shooting dime size groups at 100 yards.

Picture of West
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatrickD:
Try Lilgun and 35gr vmax. Those little cases are very fragile and susceptible to runout. I use Forster benchrest dies and they eliminate the runout completely. I use these loads in an 40 year old CZ, and it shoots very well. Choice of brass is important also as case capacity can vary - Rem brass offers good capacity.

Had very similar problems with my 22H Cooper. Initially it was 3 MOA shooter. Nothing seemed to make it better and I worked on it for a year. Like Patrick, I switched to Forster dies, it made a huge difference. Now with 12.5 gr. Lil Gun, WSR, 37 gr. Calhoon, W-W brass, I'm consistently getting 1/2 MOA. Just had it out last Sunday getting ready.

I load 22H's for a buddy's Ruger and the load we found to work best is Lil Gun, WSP and the Remington 46 gr. HP. He's in the 1 MOA range. Go figure!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I accurized both of mine 77/22 hornets (bought two cause I thought the first was a lemon), by selling and buying an Anschutz. And then I added to that with an old Oregon Kimber. Both shoot sub 1" five shot groups. The Rugers probably would have as well, but the targets would have powder burns.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ruger 77/22 hornet I owned would shoot 1 1/2 groups at 50 yards after bedding the action a trigger job and free floating the barrel. I must have spent 100.00$ on componets trying to work up a load for it. However it worked just fine for what I bought it for, a gun to carry while turkey hunting. I traded mine for a ruger 17hmr.