New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 American
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have one of these in 223 and it really shoots well. (5 shots under a dime) My problem is the the clip. When loaded fully, you can hardly close the bolt. If you push the rear of the bolt it closes easier, but not smoothly. Using the bolt handle it is very hard to close. When I get down to two rounds in the clip it is easier, but not smooth. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Shot a Tikka the other day and it was one of the smoothest clip feed rifles I've ever shot! [Confused]

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Willie I am completely happy with my CZ .22 Hornet. But hey don't they shoot great ??

I am no smith so I can not comment but I reckon it won't be a biggie. [Smile]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willie,

I have the same rifle, and (unfortunately) the exact same problem! I tried some fine emery paper on the inside of the feedrails, but no better. Maybe I didn't do enough, the sides still feel as if they haven't been 'finished'. The situation is potentially dangerous, my son was walking 'round the farm the other day and came upon an smallish pig, had a shot, needed follow up, couldn't reload. Lucky for him, pig departed away from us, dad (me) finished the job with my 270.

If I can get my 'smith to fix this, I'll let you know how he did it - likewise, if anyone has any thoughts, HELP. This is spoiling an otherwise great rifle.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ's are great! I've got a .22K Hornet for sale.
Check it out in the classifieds!

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Jim Brockman a shout. He uses this rifle for a 50 Beowulf custom rifle and he's built a couple of custom rifles on the similar 7.62x39 action.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/

Posts: 71 | Location: Bellingham WA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found a stone at the hardware store, triangle shaped and about 4 inches long. Worked the inside edge of the clip rails and it feeds a lot better.
A little more polishing and I think it [Razz] will be cured!

one of us
posted Hide Post
willie b... i have noticed the same thing. the 1st two rounds feed a little rough and the last two feed good. i figued i might need to polish the rails a little and that maybe as the magazine spring got "broke in" the first ones would feed better. or maybe try another mag. i haven't polished anything but it has started to feed better after about 120 rounds.
as far as accuracy goes. i'm amazed! i took 6 different loads(different powder charges) to the range today. three of them grouped 1/2 or barely under 1/2. 2 grouped about 1 inch(probably my fault) and the other was right at .75. also they all shot to the same point of impact. this is also the same point of impact as the cheap UMC loads i bought at walmart but the UMC's groups are quite a bit bigger. overall i'm more than satisfied. i hope you can get rid of your feeding problem. cheers...bud

[ 10-21-2002, 05:41: Message edited by: budiceale ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
I noitice that some people say how great the CZ rifles are, but then I see all these litle issues cropping up, like feeding problems, rough actions and so on (Yuk, they are starting to sound like the newer Winchesters!).

Up here, Tikka are about the same cost as a CZ and IMHO, are a much better rifle.

<reload>
posted
A shooter I have shot with a lot solved the problem by loading one round at a time. Other than that it is a great rifle for the money and is very accurate. He is getting a second one! Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
The polishing fixed the mag problem. Feeds great now. With the 3.5X10 Kahles, set trigger and the 55gr Nosler Bt's, it shoots under 1/2 inch everytime. If I needed another rifle, I'd get another CZ. [Big Grin]

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I know CZ's can be fixed....but I don't want a rifle that isn't properly finished at the factory. That is too much like buying a current product from Winchester or a Remington. Would you buy a brand new truck that needed a complete tune up before you could drive it? Yeah I know, that would be like buying a Lada or a Skoda (and sometimes, like a Chevy). [Big Grin]

<thomas purdom>
posted
I really hate to be a pissant on this topic and guide all to another site, but I just got through posting a rather lenghty post about the solution to the sticky magazine situation at HuntAmerica.com under rifles and riflesmithing. Try it.The thing really does work. As to the quality of the rifles, even with the magazine problems I still say CZ is the best thing going these days for anyone who wants an economical rifle. I suspect the gentleman from Alberta was looking at the Brno 98s imported by EAA, or something like that. The stocks I have on my rifles are both supurb in figure. I glassbedded the CZ 550 American of mine because the inletting was not as good as I wanted. So what! It got me deep into a better understanding with my rifle and when I am hunting I want a rifle that I understand and trust. Becuase of my glassbedding and some other self-customizing features any nimrod can do who has a winter project, I have an absolutely beautiful rifle in 7x57mm Mauser that shoots sub-half minute five shot groups with a 162 grain Hornady SST moving on down the road at 2,815 fps. My CZ 527 will be in the same league. Stock problems of the CZs aside, I have read several recent posts about bad stock fits with the Tikka rifles too. Beauty, is, my friends, in the eyes of the beholder. I have never owned a Tikka, so I can only gather from what I read about them. Some reviews are fantastic, some are not. With the exception of custom rifles, even the best of the best occassionally turns out a piece of crap! Thanks for the listen folks ... Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own CZ 223s in Lux and Varmint. I have not had this problem. However, a fully open bolt on my 22 mag American will bind. Great guns, last week I was plinling pop cans at 440 yards with the Varmint and yes I did connect with most shots.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Thomas....I refer to models clearly stamped CZ550 not M98's. See for yourself what I am referring to at the following link:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/shoot/brnofa1.htm

It may well be that CZ send us the seconds (or thirds) and CZ-USA gets the A grade models. That happens a lot up here...you get the wheat and we get the chaff (more like shaft if "Dubya" has anything to say about it).

Anyway, they do sound like a good buy in the USA. $400 is cheap even if it is US dollars. You can't even buy a decent Ruger 10/22 for that up here any more.

<Cobalt>
posted
I took a similar route to Purdom. I purchased a 550 in 9.3x62. I know the owner of the shop and was able to go through six boxes and pick the best wood. Had it rechambered to 9.3x64 and had the metal matte blued. The stock maker added an ebony end and grip cap, applied a nice hand rubbed oil finish and bedded the action. I added Warne rings and a matte 3-9 Leupold. Nice shooting, nice looking rifle for not much money. The 9.3 stocks come with double cross bolts. Cobalt