THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I got guppied into helping a buddy with load development on his .223AI. HELP????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got guppied into helping a buddy with load development on his .223AI. HELP????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It should be pretty straight forward I'd guess but there seems to be a real dearth of load data out there which surprises me a bit with how much ya hear about it.
Off the top of my head and never having loaded for it I'm thinking Benchmark to Varget for burn rates and 50 grain bullets, hopefully V-Max's. Start about mid-range on the .223 loads with formed cases. What do ya think?? Sound about right??

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naaah, try some H335. Actually with the .223 anymore, you kinda have to start with the twist and work backwards to pick a bullet. What is the twist of his rifle? If he has one of the "exotic" twist, ie, 1/9, 1/8, you're gonna need a 60 or 70 grain bullet to do right. The 50 grain will work well in a "normal" 1/12 or 1/14.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can get enough Benchmark in a 223 case to get you into trouble with pressure with 50gr bullets. I'd start at around 25.5grs and work up.

I find Reloder 7 excellent for accuracy in my 222rem. I would try that if you have some. H322 is pretty good also.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to 6mmbr.com. They have a whole article dedicated to loading the 223 including the AI.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the barrel twist. I have spent a lot of time experimenting with my 223 AIs. All my bullets are moly coated.

I have one with a 1-12 twist that likes the 52 gr. A-Max with 27.5 gr.-Benchmark. I get 3450 fps with a 26" barrel - not great velocity, but the best grouping load for this gun. The load shoots the same for me using formed cases or unformed cases. This powder charge will fit in a regular 223 case - so be sure to keep them seperated so you can't use them in a regular 223.

With a 1-14 twist, I use 40 gr. Ballistic tips with 31.2 gr.-H335 in formed cases. This charge nearly fills the case and is below max in my gun. This load gives me 3950 fps out of a 24" barrel and groups around 1/2".

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 24.7 H335 under sierra 52 gr. for fireforming loads, and worked my way up from there for formed cases. I got the best results for my rifle with 335, and 322. It has a 14" twist and liked 53 gr and lighter bullets.
I weighed water filled cases before and after forming and found that the increase in capacity to be 8% in my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark does well with the lighter bullets. Varget and H4895 do well with the heavier pills.

With the 223AI, you can start just under the standard 223 max and work up.

I wouldn't 'waste' fireforming loads. The AI barrels are typically very accurate with standard 223 loads.

For fireforming, I normally load up a ~95% 223 load and seat the bullet just off the lands. Blows them out nicely.

Both of mine are 1:9 twists and they love the 69-75 grain bullets. Slower twist? Stay under 62 grainers for the best results.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
I don't think you can get enough Benchmark in a 223 case to get you into trouble with pressure with 50gr bullets. I'd start at around 25.5grs and work up.

I find Reloder 7 excellent for accuracy in my 222rem. I would try that if you have some. H322 is pretty good also.

I concur with our Irish friends recommendations of Rl7 and H 322 for accuracy and velocity potential...

While almost everything works in a 223..those two are my favorite two powders for the 223 with bullets from 60grains on down...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders that work for the standard 223 are good for the 223AI. I have two 223's plus a 223AI.
I don't worry about fire forming cases. I start looking for a load that shoots by using what worked for the 223's, and load powder just a grain or two below max for the parent case.
Powders that work are H-335, as well as the Winchester version, 748. H-4895 shoots extremely well, as does H-322, and IMR-4198.
In fact, I have difficulty finding a load that doesn't shoot well for all three rifles. Also, I only use 50 grain bullets and lighter for these rifles. One load that is awesome is 27.5 grains of H-335 and Sierra's 40 grain Blitz. I'm a fan of MV, so that 40 grain bullet satifies that need very well. Having good luck with Sierra's 40 grain HP too, same loading as for the 40 gr Blitz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three .223 AI's. Benchmark shoots great with 40 to 55 grain bullets in mine and I use Varget for heavier bullets. The 1 in 12 shoots the lighter bullets with the 1 in 9 shooting from 40 to 70 grain bullets. The 1 in 7 shoots from 55 to 90 grain bullets.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:

While I don't believe it's possible to get into trouble ona 223 with Benchmark, you CAN get into trouble with RL7

I originally started using RL7 in the 223 when developing low-flash loads.

My brother and a few friends complained about the ASTOUNDING muzzle flash from factory loads and handloads using H335, so I thought that is RL7 was the fastest propellant that could achieve near max velocities it should flash less... it was just the thing... but as a smaller charge there is extra room in the case.

MY personal issue with H335 is with standard primers I get temp sensitivity issues.
at freezing temps and below the first shot can go virtually anywhere (in the vertical plane)
along with variable report and muzzle flash

I don't currently have a semi-auto in 223, so this is from my 26" bbl varmint rifle

I suppose that I could run heavier loads with H335, (I'm nowhere near max) but where I'm at is where warm weather testing showed the accuracy sweet spot.

Those H335 loads are the cat's ass on jackrabbits out in the sage... In July, August and September.

in cold weather? they stay in the ammo cabinet.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote