New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm mag loads
 Login/Join

<DOCSHEP>
posted
I've just purchased a model 700 Classic in 8mm Rem. Mag. and was wondering if anyone had some good loads with 220 gr. bullets that they would like to share.

<Matt77>
posted
I have this rifle. Can you move the stock near the front?
I messed with the 220 grain sierras. Had alright luck.. I'll try to find my load data.
gun rips a little off the bench.
to me, it's like shooting a darn 340 wby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 8mm Mag I've had good luck with 220 gr. Hornady bullets and H-4831 SC powder. 81 grains gives 3010 fps from a 26" barrel. COL is 3.68". I've gone 3 grains more with this powder, velocity increased, but accuracy didn't. I mean to try the 220 gr Barnes x next range trip, and I'll post again. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doc,

If you consider an 8mag a 'Small Caliber', I'd hate to see what you consider a big bore!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc I've had good luck with the 220 gr Hornady and H4831 and RL22.Max loads for both powders is approx 80 grs in my rifle with the RL 22 having the edge in velocity.I have had the best performance from the 200 gr Barnes X. Rem cases fed 215 80 grs of IMR 4831.This a max load so work up carefully.This bullet really performs in the 8mm rem

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote