Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 wby
 Login/Join

posted
I am interested in this caliber but have never shot one. could somone give me an idea of recoil for this rifle,

Posts: 6 | Location: omaha | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much.

What have you shot?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Recoil is about on par with a 270 Winchester from my experience.

It's less than my son's Browning BLR 308 with it's hard S&M brand recoil pad!

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
See the recoil chart at this website:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

Below is some of the data from the chart. The right column is the recoil in ft lbs of energy. Of course the numbers vary with different weights of bullets, but this gives you something to go on.

.223 . . . . . 3.8
.243 . . . . . 8.9
.25-06 . . . . 13.8
.257 Wby . . . 14.8
.270 . . . . . 15.2
.30-06 . . . . 18.8

I own a .257 Wby Mag and just love it. I would much rather shoot it than my 30-06. And, the ballistics are out of this world. You will need to reload though, unless you have a deep pocket book. Factory ammo is in the $40 per box range.

Good luck. Smiler

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone very helpful.
I have a 300 RUM rem 700, and a 300 WM ruger. I am considering rebareling the 300 RUM. I cant rebarel the ruger because my father gave it to me and i don't want to offend him or look a gift horse in the mouth. I do reload so not a problem. I heard this was roy's favorite caliber??

guns i have shot
22-250 alot (own)
30-06 (own heirloom gun)
7mm
300 rum alot has a break (own)
300 wm (own)
45-70 (own sharps)
30-30 (own)
12 ga alot

thanks guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
With you handle, I was thinking you might be a shotgunner only...

Yea, less than the 30-06. and a quantum leap less than the RUM, at least without the brake.

My 257 WBY is a rebarreled 338 RUM.

If you re-load, it will be a quantum leap cheaper too! Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son started shooting his when he was 11. How bad could it be? Kills deer like they got hit by lightning. Moose too, if you have to.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 257 Wby is a real killer of deer, but it also makes a mess of them..Lots of bloodshot.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my two-five-seven!!! I have never shot one without a break on it . Mine kicks not quite as hard a short barrel .270 . BUT the break makes that sum-biotch louder than all get out !!But I still love her !!!

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
The 257 Wby is a fantastic cartridge if you reload. Mine shoot 5/8 to 9/16 between two rifles. But ony after finding the sweet spot. Wish I could take them to Africa, but they want 270 or larger. I shot a 300 WM group today that will take care of that problem. Would rather take the 257.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My FN 257 Wby is a joy to shoot. The matching 300 Wby is a "bitch" off the bench, the 257 Wby is a dream.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
14.FT LBs Isn't much compaired to 74. Ft LBs.

I have a 257 WBY and a 458 Lott and lots of others.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic calibre.........get into it Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I shot one once, and my first thought, was were is the recoil????

however the guy who let me shoot it did so because I let him use my chronograph that was already set up at the range..

what surprised him and me, was the MV of my 260 Rem, as compared to his 257 Roy.. both were shooting 100 grain bullets..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
quote:

what surprised him and me, was the MV of my 260 Rem, as compared to his 257 Roy.. both were shooting 100 grain bullets..

Dang Seafire,

I thought that was gonna be our little secret! beer

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sea fire could you elaborate on the 260 vs 257 wby??

One of Us
Picture of WyoHunter
posted Hide Post
my 257 Wby recoils more than my .260 Rem but less than my 7MM Rem Mag. If you can handle a 270's recoil it shouldn't be a problem.

Be proud of each and every game animal you kill - big, small or no antlers!
NRA LIFE Member

Posts: 65 | Location: Central Wyoming, USA | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote