New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 PPC ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a 6.5 PPC? If not is there a 6.5 PPC wildcat? If so does anyone know where I can get a reamer? I can't find either one in Cartridges of the World. Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try asking this over at www.benchrest.com, if anyone would know they would. I seem to recall reading of this over there, but would have to search their archives though. Peace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Geo, I'll check it out. My computor can't find the page right now so later. Anyone else know anything about this?

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Yes it is a wildcat try www.clymertool.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob...the real beauty of the 6.5 is that it comes with some really nice long bullets but the PPC case doesn't have enough capacity to drive those long bullets fast enough for real long range work.

The 6PPC is almost perfect the way it is but you might think of going the other way...down to .20...you can hit 4000 fps.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, Thanks for your help. I'm communicating with Clymer. I appreciate the help.

<AKI>
posted
Bob. I just got my 6,5BR based on the slightly larger 6mmBR case. It was made by reaming the case with a 6BR reamer, neck separatly to .288 and throat it for the Lapua line of bullets. I chose a tight neck that needs neck turning because there will be a slight bulge at the neck shoulder junction caused by the innermost part of the 6mm shoulder now forming the neck, after expansion to 6.5mm. PPC or BR, it�s a beauty!!! AKI

[This message has been edited by AKI (edited 02-22-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AKI, I'm trying to build this rifle on the CZ 527 so am trying to keep it small enough to fit. My 527 is 7.62 X 39 so the 6 mm PPC necked up to 6.5 would feed without any additional work. I'll look up the 6 mm BR dimensions. Appreciate the idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob!

I made a 6,5 BR for a friend last year. It worked out really good with Lapua 108 gr. Scenars.

It�s possible to turn the rims down on BR cases so they fit a PPC bolt. The little extra case volume in the BR is good to find in a small case like this

Aki!

The Palmisiano Cup is getting close! (sort of) Are you getting ready for the battle of the big trophy??

Off topic

We are experiensing one of the worst snowstorms I ever have seen today. 40 nots wind and unbelevable amounts of snow. The airport (where I work) have been closed down allmost all day. I have been working on the airport for 10 years now and we never have been closed more than about 1-2 h due to snowstorms before...... I have been at work from 14:30 untill midnigth and not seen a single aircraft in motion Lots of time to watch Anja P�rsson get the silver in gigant slalom in Salt lake city

Stefan

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 02-23-2002).]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stefan, Thanks. I didn't know this was done. Hope your snow storm is over. I also work at an airport and we've been shutdown for two days due to less than 100 foot ceilings and less than 1/4 mile visibility. But I like that better than snow. we have 12 to 18 degrees temp. (centigrade) Thanks for the info.

<AKI>
posted
Bob. If reliable feeding is important, you might consider the 7,62x39 with more case taper and less shoulder angle. I made a 30-6,5-06 Ackley Improved last summer and found the 40� shoulder very clumsy compared to the slick 17�30� original 30-06 shoulder. The 30BR is tricky too, and has 30� angle as the PPC. I have seen something on a 6,5-7,62x39 on a finnish forum, so it�s not new either. A skillful smith with a 220Russian reamer, 6.5mm neckers and throaters can do the job. There is NO need for expensive reamers, something that many a wildcatter appear to be unaware of. As for the precision, many or most BR chambers are throated and/or necked separatly.

Stefan! Palmisano... I don�t know. My BR is ready, my wind reading�s not. I�m in the phase so appositly described in last VHP: "watch the flags, try to find the mirage, get confused, and then shoot..." This BR shooting is obviously a sport for finical whimps. I�m gearing up for real long range BR at 1500m+. At THAT distance I can live with not being able to read the winds, and there are no stupid competitions crowded with finical whimps who�ll kikk my sore but.

Blizzard? Yeah, we got our share here too. Not much snow, but fast air in great abundance.

And congrats to your olympic silver and bronse medals! BwaHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHHHAAA!!!

(The sweedes are in national mourning after loosing all "their" gold medals when the competitions actually run... A fact that their western and eastern brothers are enjoying, again... AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Aki!

We can�t all win the Palmisano Cup, but we can for sure have a good time while we trying

The "BR gang" useally have a really good time during match days. I have not missed this match for about ten years now!

I�m planning for a 1000 y gun at the moment. It�s a pity that we don�t have any 1000y matches in scandinavia yet I�ll try to get over to Lapua for the 600 m matches this summer.

I�m not all that upset about the Swedish results in Salt Lake City. First of all I�m not a sport freak and I have not spent all that mutch time in front of the TV the past weeks. Second reson is that, in my opinion, most sports these days have lost it�s original idea. Doping and money have more inpact on results today than having fun on equal terms, sad but tru

I�ll stick to benchrest and other shooting sports The money have not destroyed the sport yet and the doping is limited to a few beers in the pub after a hard days work at the fireing line

See you at the scandinavian championships at �land AKI!!

Stefan

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob!

The storm have passed now, phu. I have spent time inbetween turnarounds clearing snow today. We have a quick change 737/300 parked outside that carry mail during weekdays, the plane was almost gone in the snow There was a pile under left wing that almost was up to the wing tip!

The first departure this morning was a 737/800 that was stuck at the ramp yesterday due to strong crosswind and breaking figures below 30. It took us 2800 liters of deicing fluid to get it clean of ice and snow...... Not a lot of profit on that leg for SAS

I hope i get a quiet nigshift tomorrow nigth without any more snow.......

Stefan.

<AKI>
posted
Stefan. I REALLY enjoy BR. After the first few local Cups last spring I noted that I shot even whorse than I�d expected, but it was MUCH more fun, though my expectations had been high enough allready. I had some problems with the bedding of the rifle, but that�s fixed now. And when I stuff 34.5gr N135 behind the Eubers, it should be competitive if that fat one behind the stock would do his part...

1000yds... Yes, I heared you did some good shooting down under. I am trying to get my 338 Lapua Mag stock ready. Just leaded it to 16kg, and think of adding steel plates to get it HEAVY. Why should it recoil at all if the only rule is that you should be able to lift it onto the bench yourself? 50-70kg should be nice, don�t you think? I will try to get to Lapua, 300m unlimited 25 maj and 600m 26 maj.

...Look for e-mail. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
AKI, Thanks for the additional information. I passed it to my 'smith. When we get it finished I'll post results.

Stefan, Our wx is good this morning. We launched six birds at 6:00 AM for the off shore oil platforms. The wind was over 40 knots yesterday-our internet provider had some wind damage and internet service was down for two hours. We're back to normal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested, Clymer answered my email. They do make a 6.5 PPC reamer for $180.00-four weeks delivery time.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Are you having a 6.5 PPC built?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul, Yes, The 527 carbine went to the shop last week, bbl (Douglas premium) and reamer (Clymer) are ordered. I have emails in to three outfits that load wildcats to buy ammo. One (Quality Cartridge) claims to headstamp. I'll only have two weeks in June to test so wanted to get ammo in advance rather than take time to form cases and reload. Will post results.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I anxious to hear how it terns out. I'd fisrt thought about getting a mini mauser 223 barreled action, but now it sounds like I need a pair of them, the other in 7.62X39 to be re-chambered to a 6.5 PPC. I plan to make some vary sparse wood stocks for them, should be nice light stalking rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I agree. I'm really enthused about this project. I'm going to order an M8 Leopold rim fire compact and send it to Leopold to have the parallax readjusted from 60 yds to 150 yds and hope to mount it with talle (sp) rings. I have another 527 in 7.62 X 39 which I'm going to do the same thing with in 6 mm PPC. My scope plans for the 6 mm is a Leopold compact 2 to 7. I'm having the action glass bedded, the trigger cleaned up, and the bbl floated. I can't wait!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Who makes scope bases for the action? I'm thinking it should have something equaly svelte like conetrols.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, Another good idea. I'm working in Mexico and have done all this through the internet and email except my son does the leg work for me. To answer your question I don't know but will get on the net and see what I can find. I'll let you know.