THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester Barrel Engraving??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Barrel Engraving??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last year I purchased a long awaited pre- 64 Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet that was advertised as having a mint bore. Recently a bore scope revealed the barrel had a lot of pitting ahead of the chamber. I want to be able to shot both cast and jacketed bullets. A new barrel is on order with the same configuration as the original barrel. I would like to have the new barrel engraved the same as the original barrel. The original barrel will be kept in case some day I might sell the rifle. Is there an engraver in the US that specializes in Winchester barrel engraving (same style, etc.)?
Thanks

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I've had John Gallagher do the same on an barrel for a 1885 Win. Do a search on Gallagher Firearms. His phone is 205-384-5229. He is located near Jasper, Alabama.

He will take a photo of the markings and will have a template made from the photo and goes from there. Mine looks nice.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Thanks for the lead on John Gallagher. I saved it to file for future reference. Never know when I might need someone like him to duplicate an old barrel.
Jim, thank you for the posting. Last summer I bought a long awaited Winchester Model 54 in 22 Hornet. I started reloading in 1948 for a Model 54/Hornet that my Step Dad owned at the time. It went when he died, and I wanted to buy another for old times sake. The metal on mine is pristine, fortunately.
I can live with a pre-64 Model 70 Hornet too, if I can find one that doesn't require mortgaging my house to buy it...

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Maybe another option would be a professional re-lining?

Have you tried shooting it anyways?
I've had rifles with "dark" bores that shot surprisingly well, just a thought.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe A.,
John Gallagher has been contacted. He can do the work.
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote