THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Modern manufacture of 250 Savage.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern manufacture of 250 Savage.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good day lads from all over the world,

I have had 2, 5 years and newer 250 sav chambered rifles. I do not understand why these rifles are not made with a little extra throat in them to accomodate many of the newer longer bullets? Or even to dump a little extra powder in the case.
One of you gents have an answer for me please.
thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
twist rate and velocity.
if you have a longer throat to accommodate the heavier bullets you lose velocity.
if you spin up a lighter bullet with a faster twist rate [to stabilize the longer bullets] it becomes more fragile on target.

you gotta pick a balance you can live with.
savage chose speed with a slightly light bullet.

if you wanna shoot 120 gr 25 cal bullets at 2700+ fps get a 257 Roberts.
it will also stabilize 86gr bullets down below 2400 fps.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar
most new rifles in 250 savage are running 10 twist barrels, not 14's like in 1935. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you want more speed and a heavier bullet get a .257 Roberts or a .25-06.
The .250 case is too small to gain much by higher pressures and heavier bullets.

I had a friend that was known for that.
He would buy something like a .375 Win and then hot rod the hell out of it when he could have bought a .375 H&H.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 250 Savage as is, but it one of the few cartridges that really benefits from being "improved."

See this article for some performance numbers and comparisons: http://www.americanrifleman.or...vage-ackley-improved

I like the 257R, but if you have a short action that won't accommodate the Roberts and long bullets then the 250 Ackley is a great choice.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a 250 SavAI some 30 odd years ago, 40° shoulder. I get 3250-3300+ fs with it all the time with 85 gr bullets, equal to a standard Roberts and 200 fs+ beyond the standard 250 load.

It's a small case and blowing it out and using the faster burning MODERN powders, plus throating it for 100 gr bullets set out(0.250" seat or neck deep) makes for unbelievable additional velocity...the real gain comes from the lighter bullets.

Case capacity for my brass AI ~52 gr H20...~45 gr for standard Savage and ~63 for Roberts.

It is an easy rechamber for a bolt gun...but I would just rechamber to the Roberts AI rather than the Sav AI, you gain a ton more in useful velocity at the lighter end and the 100-120 gr bullets really do a better job.

The 250 AI is a neat little gun if you like to play, tho' and don't mind paying the price for custom dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
I'm not necessarily wanting to use heavier bullets per se. The new Accubonds in 110gr are long, new TTSX and TSX bullets in 100 gr are long. the newer Interbond 110gr are a longer bullet. Without having to go to an AI, if there was 15 thou more throat to work with, seems to me it would be a win, win? FS

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Good day lads from all over the world,

I have had 2, 5 years and newer 250 sav chambered rifles. I do not understand why these rifles are not made with a little extra throat in them to accommodate many of the newer longer bullets? Or even to dump a little extra powder in the case.
One of you gents have an answer for me please.
thanks FS

oldFirst of all the 250-3000 had to have an oal that would fit in the Mod.99 Savage. A longer throat would have been superfluous.
tu2My bolt action 250-3000 has a deeper throat and fast twist to accommodate seating the longer bullets out far enough so they don't infringe on the powder room. Using the extra case capacity in this way My rifle indeed enjoys greater velocities with all bullets. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your rifles magazine will alloy it then having the throat re-cut a bit longer shouldn't be too much trouble.

fast. thank's man I didn't know they changed the twist.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote