Find
Notify
Tools

New 17: The 17 LR???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
As I was picking up some 22LR this morning on the way to the range I heard two guys saying that Hornady has just come out with a 22LR necked to 17.

Has anyone heard about this yet? Would price have a similar relationship as the 17 HMR and 22Mag? Any information on ballistics would be nice. Can't imagine that this would put much of a dent in 22LR sales, but it's an interesting concept.

After my little session at the range I realized that I spent $4 on ammo for about 2.5 hours of entertainment (as much time shooting the shit as shooting).

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new "Guns&Ammo" magazine. Front cover says., "Fast and furious .17 Mach 2 hits 2100fps" I want one. The article says ammo may be about 5 or 6 dollars for a box of 50. Kinda steep for a 22lr type of gun.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how different this is from the .17 Aguila/High Standard? Midsouth has back orders of the M2 for $5.31 a box. That puts it in .22Mag territory price wise.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's made by Eley.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it might be on the expensive side. My 22 LOVES PMC Scoremaster. Used to be in a blue box, disappeared a while and is now back in a black box. Simply standard velocity 40gr lead. It's some of the cheapest stuff out there and it impacts wherever I put the crosshairs, from the first round to the hundreth.

I think I'll skip whatever .17LR they come up with. Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The May 2004 American Rifleman has a feature article on the new Hornady .17 Mach 2. It's a .22 LR length cartridge that shoots a 17 gr polymer tiped jacketed bullet at 2100 fps MV.

The ammo price may be about $6 for a box of 50.

The round would be of interest to me if the state of Connecticut would rule it legal for hunting in it's state forests where the .22 LR is presently the largest round rifle cartridge allowed.

If Hornady sold primed brass I bet someone would reload the cartridge!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo FreakPower
Where are you getting that scoremaster and how much is it.
I think I might like to try it. I tried the PMC high velocity hollow points and found them pretty accurate but not match grade. So far I have found three rounds that really shine in my CZ.
Dynapoints- low cost, quiet, very accurate, works well for plinking, small critter control (a.k.a. sparrows and starlings)
Power Points - very accurate after the bore is seasoned with 50-100 rounds and is the go to bullet when I need to thump something hard. Its the hardest hitting .22 round I have shot out of PMC zappers, CCI mini mags, velocitators, american eagle hollow points, and others.
Wolf match target- when I really want to look good.
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
just the local shop nearest the range. Far as i know it's nothing special. I think "Scoremaster" is a line of PMC's 22LR ammo so you when you call around to the shops you might have to specify Standard Velocity, black box etc. I believe it's a 40gr lead RN at about 1100fps.

Prices vary, I'll just say it's among the cheapest on the rack.