Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-284
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about building a custom 25-284 using the JLK 115 grain bullets to shoot woodchuck out to 800 yards. I will use custom chamber hart 30 inch barrel 1 and 10 twist. The reason I am not building a 6.5 -284 is that I can't use bullets over a hundred grains for calibers larger than 25 here in New Jersy. If I leave the state then I will re-barrel for the 6.5-284. I already have a 6mm Remington to shoot bullets up to 85 grains. I will be using 6.5-284 Lapua brass. Do I have to ream the necks since I am sizing the neck down?
What king of accuracy can I get using this set up? Anyone shoot a 25-284? I understand these bullets are hollow point but will they dispatch the animal quickly or just punch a little hole? I know they can't be as explosive as the balllistic tips, I just don't want to wound the animal. Any preference on actions?
Thanks

Posts: 14 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 06 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will see parts rain off of chucks with those bullets Jimmy makes. The cartridge will give you roughly the same velocities as a 25-06.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with one, the only thing I have seen of it, is a local friend had one, and had severe throat erosion in less than 500 rounds...

I have two 6mm Remingtons that have one in 8 twists and I shoot 115 grain Bergers from it, with a load of 46 grains of RL 19... on a long action, with the bullets seated out magazine length.. with an MV of 3250....

I haven't used it for prairie dogs at 800 meters.. but I did build one for a nephew in Montana on an Enfield Action.. and using the same load, he has dusted a few prairie dogs at 600 and 700 yards with it.. with an 8 x 32 scope on it....

that 115 grainer in 25 caliber on that case should do the same thing!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogman:
I am thinking about building a custom 25-284 using the JLK 115 grain bullets to shoot woodchuck out to 800 yards. I will use custom chamber hart 30 inch barrel 1 and 10 twist. The reason I am not building a 6.5 -284 is that I can't use bullets over a hundred grains for calibers larger than 25 here in New Jersy.

What is wrong with the 25-06? With a 25-284 you will have to likely buy a chamber reamer, plus custom dies. The two alone could pay for your barrel.

quote:
If I leave the state then I will re-barrel for the 6.5-284.

Please excuse the way this question is asked but are the woodchucks larger in states other than NJ, so that you have to build another gun?

quote:
I already have a 6mm Remington to shoot bullets up to 85 grains. I will be using 6.5-284 Lapua brass. Do I have to ream the necks since I am sizing the neck down?

If you go with a 25-06, you can buy cheap quality brass, and won't need to ream anything. IIRC Lapua 6.5-284 brass is going for $75.00-90.00 a hundred. Win brass in 25-06 is $25.00-30.00 a hundred.

quote:
What king of accuracy can I get using this set up?

That all depends on how much you spend on the barrel, action, stock, etc.

quote:
I understand these bullets are hollow point but will they dispatch the animal quickly or just punch a little hole? I know they can't be as explosive as the balllistic tips, I just don't want to wound the animal.

If you want to blow up little critters with a 25 caliber, there are enough choices in bullets to satisfy your desires.

quote:
Any preference on actions?

Many use Rem actions but getting in touch with a good gunsmith is (I feel) the best choice.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Hogman I'm an old pasture poodle popper from NY and I shoot a 6/284 and a 6.5/284, I understand the predictament that your State places you in regarding caliber restriction, and would allow that the caliber you have choosen will be very exciting to you. I have both the above calibers in Hart barrels and strongly recomend them. Unless you are shooting to ranges beyond 800 or so, I would think that the smaller calibers should suffice. Hart rifle barrels put together a 6 Rem 1 in 8 for me on a 40X at 28" and that rifle gives me 3100 with the Sierra 105's. The 27" 6.5/284 gives 3030 with 142 Sierra's. Accuracy you can expect is based upon the quality of the installation and trigger/action group, bedding and concentric chamber with developed loads. That accuarcy level should approach 1/4 minute.

When out west shooting Pdogs, the 6 rem is more than capable in a stiff wind at ranges to 750, using 70 Nosler BT's. The advantage of speed when combating wind should not be ignored. Just an observation.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote