New
Find
Notify
Tools

just wondering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
while there is no doubt that the 223 is probably the most popular small round out there, i was just wondering what would happen if remmy brought back the 222 mag. it was a much better round than is the 223 boasting about another 100 fps and a long necked case, which held the bullet better. they have brought out several guns with call it obsolete calibers here and there, wonder if the 222 mag would sell?

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering how cheap and plentiful .223 brass is, maybe not so much.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
With many very useful .22 cartridges (both bigger and smaller cased) available in large numbers these days, I doubt it would last much longer a second time around than would a snowflake landing in a skillet over the campfire.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always been a fan of the .222 Magnum and own several of them.

That said, it has no real advantages over the .223. Its 5% or so additional case capacity doesn't translate into much additional velocity, especially considering that when chambered in a fine little action like the Sako L461 its LOA is limited by the magazine length to no more that of the .223, anyway. I've found the real world difference in velocity between the two to be negligible. (For that matter, when the regular .222 case is loaded to the same pressures as the .223, it will launch a bullet of only 5 grains less at about the same speed as its larger offspring.)

Bottom line: As much as I enjoy my .222 Magnums, it is mostly because they are "different", not necessarily "better".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Likely the same thing if they started chambering 222's, most folks agree what a great round it is but how many folks are going to purchase one? Not many I'm thinking. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
If the 222 mag ammo was as cheap as 223 ammo then it might sell. As it is now the 223 really has that spot covered.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just don't understand? What is the obsession with long necks on cartriges like the .223? The .300 Win Mag also comes to mind but doesn't fit the small caliber forum. I have not had any trouble with bullets pulling out, or pushing in. I get good groups with all 3 of the .223's I have and they wern't hard to work up loads for. Enlighten me

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this needs to be a topic of it's own let me know and I'll post it as such.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
while there is no doubt that the 223 is probably the most popular small round out there, i was just wondering what would happen if remmy brought back the 222 mag. it was a much better round than is the 223 boasting about another 100 fps and a long necked case, which held the bullet better. they have brought out several guns with call it obsolete calibers here and there, wonder if the 222 mag would sell?

I doubt that Rem ever bring the 222mag back for the very reason you mention "223".

I have pretty nice custom 222,223 and latest build is 222mag all on Rem actions.

I'm still playing around with loads so haven't chronograph anything yet. I've always like the 222mag got Rem 722 222mag also.

I normally take couple rifles varmint shooting and the new 222mag fit in with what I like reason I had it build. As to comparing I'll leave that to the experts

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love old/obsolete calibers so the .222 is my latest acquisition. Shoots well so far, but I've not had a chance to work up loads as yet. Kills every piece of paper I've hit with it. Think I'll have the .32-20 repaired.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would sell very well, and I am a fan. I own a 1963 vintage Sako L461 in 222mag, and could not be happier with it.

With 29.0 gr of Varget under a 55gr Winchester Combined Tech bullet, my Chrony showed 3,525fps, using Herters brass. No pressure signs at all, and very accurate.

I was, however, concerned enough to back off the powder charge and now launch them at 3,400fps, which is about what a 223 can do.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
When the .223 was adopted as the 5.56 in the military the excellent .222 Mag was all but killed overnight. I hate to think of that loss, but it's time is past.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote