THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Rem 700 w/ Rifle Basix trigger ... Help???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rem 700 w/ Rifle Basix trigger ... Help???
 Login/Join

posted
that's a good question, I guess ask yourself, "How safe am I?" I set my Rem.700 trigger to 13 oz. Now saying that, I never close the bolt when walking or stalking until ready to fire. I've had it as low as 6-7 oz and it's not very safe unless your at the range and settled in on your shooting rest and bags. That's with the factory trigger though. Rifle Basix has several triggers for 700's, not sure of your's. It can be safe or unsafe depending on your model. You could knock the pins out of the factory trigger and polish the metal to metal parts and use some very thin oil. That's all I use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look, I have owned a couple of Rifle Basix triggers and have never been happy with any of them. However, with most of them the pull weights you are looking for would be acceptable. I just do not think they are very good triggers. They are hard to adjust, they do not hold the settings well, etc.

For Remington rifles, at least, I have given up on Rifle Basix's and gone to Jewell. They are God-Awfull expensive, but they are great triggers. I own several that are set at 6 ounces and they are perfectly safe!!!! I am considering buying another one. If Arnold Jewell quit making triggers I would learn to live with the stock triggers that Remington puts in their rifles. They are pretty well adjustable, and dependable, no matter what you hear.

The only Rifle Basix's trigger still in the safe is on an XP-100 that is set to about 14 ounces. Any lighter than this, the darned thing will go off when you open the bolt. NOT GOOD!!! Rifle Basixs is not on my list of good triggers. (The really good ones are Shilen, Jewell, Bond Triple Lever, Mike Dewey, etc.)

At the poundage you are looking for, the Rifle Basix should work ok.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rifle Basic on my Remington,but I switched to a Shilen,much more reliable design.RB has poor customer service, SOL type.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could depend on the model you have installed. Rifle Basix list 4 different model triggers for the Rem 700, adjustable from 3lbs. down to 2 oz.
Give the company a call, see what they advise.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle Basix has several different models as several of the other posters have noted. I have 3 of the competition model for my 700's. They are of the three lever design and I have shot thousands of rounds using these triggers adjusted down to 6oz. with no problem what so ever. Are they a Jewell trigger no they aren't. But they are a useable safe trigger.

May I be half the man my grandson things I am.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a rifle basix trigger on my 22 CHeetah set at 8 oz. and have never had a problem with it. I have opened and slammed the bolt closed as hard and fast as I could to make sure that there would be no problems. I have not had a complaint about the trigger at all and definitely never a malfunction.

Posts: 70 | Location: MI | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote