New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 54MSch Dominion ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know how to read the batch codes in old Dominion ammo, made in Canada?

The codes are EAA15 then IP14.

Ten old rounds of it all split badly, but had been kept in the damp.

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't read their codes, but I refer you to this site for a very short history of the company.

http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs...ada/ccc-canadian.htm

Also, if you use your search engine to find "reading Dominion ammo codes", either Google or Yahoo will direct you to a raft of collector sites which may provide the answers you seek.

Or, if that doesn't panot, maybe if you contact some of the CIL companies which are still in existance, by e-mail, you can obtain a reference to another site which will be able to tell you how to read the codes.

It is interesting to me that Canadian Industries Ltd. which manufactured the Dominion brand was initially jointly owned by duPont (which owned the original manufactury of IMR powders in the U.S.) and Imperial Industries of Great Britain which owned the Eley and Kynoch brands after they were combined in the early 1900s....

And, that C.I.L was broken into two main holding companies when a U.S. federal court directed duPont to divest itself of its interest in the Canadian company as part of an anti-monopoly suit adjudication.

Seems as if the U.S. government has ALWAYS been screwing over private arms and ammunition companies to some degree or another.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dominion ammo. Thats a name I can remember from the mid 60s when I bought some of it to shoot in a .43 Spanish Rolling Block. The Dominion was actually made to shoot in the 1871 German rifle chambered in .43 mauser, but found it did work in my 1879 Argentine RB. Chuckle, was a teenager then with a mint condition Rolling Block I was determined to shoot. Couldn't find any .43 Spanish ammo back then. But could shoot the mauser ammo, fireform the brass and use it for reloading.

OK, about 3 years ago, I still had some of this dominion 43 mauser ammo I'd bought back in the mid 60s. Remembered the neck was a might bit too long, so using a tubing cutter, I cut back the neck a little. Off to the range I went with the modified ammo. All of it shot just fine. Not bad for ammo at least 50 years old. Saved the brass for reloading.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try posting that question here:

Intenational Ammunition Association Forum
I.A.A. forum

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote