THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Win. 70 F.W. .243 first impressions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. 70 F.W. .243 first impressions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I traded for a new featherweight .243, blue, wood stock, a few weeks ago. I adjusted the trigger down to approx. 3 lbs. The stock seemed a little rough and dry so I put on a coat of true oil rubbed it with some fine steel wool then waxed the stock. It's a real dark color walnut and has a nice matte sheen on it now. I also sealed the barrel channel etc.

I quickly sighted it in with Federal factory 100gr. Nolser ammo and shot a spike during our doe and spike season. He was only about 30 yards and shot in the neck.

So far I've shot 3 different kinds of ammo: all 3 shot groups.

Federal factory 100gr. Noslers: less than 1" center to center. 1.1" outside to outside

Handloads, Winchester cases and primers, 100gr. Hornadys, 44.4gr. Rel 19 .......same groups as the Federals....

Remington corelokts 100gr. ...groups spread out to 1 1/4"-1 1/2".

Elevation wise the Rems shoot 1/2" high at 100yds, Fed. factory about 1 " high and the Hornady handloads 2 1/2" high (higher velocity?)

I have some Leupold PRW rings and bases ordered for it and I have two scopes I'm considering. A 3X9 Burris fullfield or a Leupold 2.5X8.

The rifle came with the lug and tang glass bedded and a target crown. The barrel channel was free floated. Nice dark walnut stock with a red 1/2" pad.

So far I really like this rifle. I'll use it for hunting cull deer and doe and an occassional coyote, turkey etc.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When everyone went to talking about Winchester going under, I went and bought a Stainless Winchester Featherweight in 243. So far it has been very accurate in just loving 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with IMR-4064 I join in with you sentiments of the rifle. Great little handy rifle!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a handy little rifle. This has been a fun, fun little rifle to work with. My first deer rifle was given to me by my dad in 1960...a Win. featherweight .243 that I sadly no longer have, so the cartridge is kind of special to me.

A couple of things...when I load the magazine full the fourth round from the bottom trys to jump up and jam (sometimes and only when the action is operated very slow)...maybe a new follower. ..
Also, the bottom metal (not the floor plate) and trigger guard are plastic. Maybe one day a steel replacement but for now it works for me.

I'm looking forward to shooting it later this year and maybe chronographing some loads. I'll give the 95gr Noslers a try.. I think it may shoot even better as I'm shooting at an indoor range for now. I've never been able to shoot well indoors.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a few months old now and has shown a decided preference for 85 TSX's and Varget. It will shoot the 100 Hornady flat base with H4350 into an inch, but with the TSX it thinks it's a varmint rifle. 70 gr. TNT's with 42-Varget are the load of choice for varmints in this rifle though.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrat''s guys that 243 is special thats a given,mine''s a pre a-bolt, BBR love that caliber,regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up in .270 WCF. The trigger is nice after some wrench action. The recoil pad was the black decelerator. Went with leupold DD mounts and a Zeiss 3.5x10. The wood is a little dark for my liking. Any thoughts on how to lighten the color up from the dark brown to the reddish hue? Hoping to get to the range in the next few weeks.