New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking into getting a good gun for coyotes,fox,etc.This one is high on my list.I'm considering .222,223 and .204 Ruger.I would like to hear what folks think of this gun.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI own the .222, in the 527 American. Took a bit of honing to get it to feed , stop gauling and remove small burrs and sharp edges, but now it is a pleasant, accurate walk-around rifle. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 in 204 and love it. I bought it with the sole intent of using it as a calling rifle. Light, fast handling and accurate. The clip is nice for loading and unloading when your running around making a bunch of stands and in and out of your truck all day.

If you use the rings that come with the 527 American make sure your scope has a relatively small eyepiece or the bolt handle won't clear. I have a Burris Fullfied II on mine and it works fine. Not a high dollar scope but collects plenty of light at dusk and dawn for me.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my great nephew one in .223. The safety is backwards in my books. I heard they corrected that??? Don't know. Because I like .20 cal in air rifles I'd like to try one in .204 Ruger.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 American Varmint with the synthetic (Kevlar) stock in .204. Accurate, and I do like the set trigger. Don't really like the look of the magazine hangin' out, I think a flush mag or a blind mag (ala Rem ADL) would really improve the look of these CZs.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one in 223 for a while. It was very accurate. Loved the clip and the set trigger. Fit and finish were very nice for the money. Never could get used to that backwards safety. Just made me nuts. Wanted to replace it with a Vixen, but not enough money, so I got an Interarms MiniMauser.
The 527 is a great little rifle.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the 527 Carbines in .223. Very accurate, very handy and the safety is very odd.

As a range rifle it's great for practicing shooting with a centerfire rifle, it would make a great little coyote/groundhog rifle but I don't really have anyplace to just go out kicking around with a rifle. I get satisfactory groups with bullets from 45gr to 65gr even though the twist is listed as being very slow.

If you don't get hung up with the safety being backwards you'll like it a lot. thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .22 Hornet. It is a joy to shoot, and the most accurate rifle I own.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The backwards safety is dangerous and inexcusable. It is unbelievable that it has gone uncorrected for as long as it has.

The unnecessarily thick root of the bolt handle makes it impossible to mount a scope in an appropriately low position. There is a company that specializes in machining the bolt hump down so you can mount your scope where you can actually see though it.

Some people object to the protruding magazine. A conventional box magazine, or a staggered clip that fits flush would be an improvement.

They are typically accurate, the set trigger is great, and fit and finish is acceptable for a gun in their price range.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have standard american in 223, it is great.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 .223 Varminter (Walnut and Blue). There are many things to like w/ these rifles. Mine feed fairly rough at 1st, but w/ a little polishing it has smoothed out. The single set trigger is outstanding. One thing that needs to be clarified, all of the Varmint barrels are 1:9, the american is 1:12. The Chamber is CIP rated and you can shoot military ammo out of it without voiding the guarantee. I shoot 50 to 65gr out of mine. It likes Barnes 53gr and Sierra 63gr that both fit my needs.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 in 223, Varminter with heavy barrel and lamminated wood stock. I've shot a couple of 3 shot cloverleafs at 200 with it. It is consistantly under 1/2 MOA.

Never been to a gunsmith with it, never taken it out of the stock, shot as is. I like the set trigger, the clip is easy to deal with, the safety, this is NOT a DGR. There is no reason to have a round chambered unless you are shooting if you're after gophers. Coyotes etc, learn to live with the safety or don't buy one. Then again I absolutely hate a three-position safty and will never own a rifle with one.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have one in 223, bought in 97, it's got a long chamber, floated the barrel and it shoots great.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.223 Kevlar varmint. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.1/9 twist, it likes 60 gr v.max, and 69 matchkings, although I've been impressed with 50 gr vmax lately.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a used 204 on lay away, I have shot a 223 varmint before. I was so impressed with the friends 223 when I saw that used one I didn't even think twice. Doesn't hurt that I got a heck of a good price too. Excited to pick it up and start working on loads.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have the Kevlar Varmint and I have a great load with Win 748 powder with at Btip in 55gr. I am going to try the same load in my 223 Full stock tomorrow.
I have a hornet 527 it too is a great shooting rifle. I have the 221 Fireball but haven't worked with it yet. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 American in 223, .5 MOA out of the box.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!CZ now has a couple new 527's with a different trigger guard and a flush 3 rd clip.It's the M1 American and a camo M1.I think these parts can be installed on any of the 527 models without any gun-smithing but can't say for sure.There's also this company that modifies the guard and clip-
http://www.rvbprecision.com/sh...zine-conversion.html
I'm really kind of leaning to the .222 for it's outstanding accuracy reputation but can live with the others.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 FS (full stock, carbine) in .22 Hornet. Love it.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterMontana:
. . . learn to live with the safety or don't buy one.

That's like a car made with the accelerator pedal on the left and the brake pedal on the right and justifying the eventual carnage that reversal will cause by saying that it gets great gas mileage.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safety seems natural if you are used to lever actions. Pull back to fire.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the most accurate rifle I own as well. Great little Hornet.

I think the criticism of the safety is being blown out of scale. Learn your equipment. If you familiarize yourself with your rife, and check to make sure it is still on safe every so often, there should be no issues. I use rifles with many kinds of safeties. I use rifles with crossbolts, wing type, reverse wing, rem 700 type, tang safetys, thumb switch,flag, M1 garand type and the cz 527 type. It really isn't that hard to adapt to any of them. The only safety that counts is the one between your ears.

I'm actually quite fond of the 527's safety.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 in 223, and am very satisfied with its performance. Great trigger, and great accuracy. The only thing I might change is the magazine and bottom metal to the latest configuration, where both are flush with the rifle's bottom.
Some targets I recently shot with the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I took the plunge after finding a GREAT deal on the American in .223.In my heart I really wanted one in .222 but the price (NIB with rings 499+20 ship) was just to good to pass up.I'll post some pics after it arrives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
Well I took the plunge after finding a GREAT deal on the American in .223.In my heart I really wanted one in .222 but the price (NIB with rings 499+20 ship) was just to good to pass up.I'll post some pics after it arrives.

$499.00
Thats amazing, same gun in Canada is $950.00. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
quote:

$499.00

Yeah, but there is so much Olympic Gold floating around north of the border these days that price is no object to you Canucks. Congratulations on the stellar performance of your Winter Olympians! I actually got kinda enamored of the Curling. Just wish to hell I could figure out the rules!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
quote:

I hear you on the Olympics, kinda sad its all over, I was watching them on TV everyday
Curling, closest stones to the center known as the button are the ones that score. If you have 1 or more rocks that are closer to the center than your opponent does, they all score. Easy

$499.00

Yeah, but there is so much Olympic Gold floating around north of the border these days that price is no object to you Canucks. Congratulations on the stellar performance of your Winter Olympians! I actually got kinda enamored of the Curling. Just wish to hell I could figure out the rules!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up the 537 American the other day and got the scope mounted.At first I went cheapskate-Tasco 2.5-10 Varmint/Target.Yeah,yeah I know but with so many good reviews at Cabelas and Midway and only 50 bucks on sale at Natchez I figured it was worth a shot.I figured wrong.Total POS that will be on it's way back tomorrow.Anyway I pulled my trusty Leupold VX-1 2-7 off another gun and slapped her on.The only ammo the dealer that took care of the transfer had in stock was (sigh) Rem UMC.Cheapo again but I had no choice.
Here it is-

Not the spectacular grain as some others here but very nice just the same.The set trigger is great!Super light.Without using the set it's a bit heavy and coarse feeling but I haven't adjusted anything yet.The bolt can also use some smoothing up.I have to apply pressure just so or it resists going forward some.The wood/metal fit is very good.The Barrel is fully floated right out of the box.Nice even checkering.Groups with the Tasco were about 1 1/2" at 75yds but I'm sure it will do better with quality ammo and the Leupe.I only had 3 rounds left to rough in the Leupold.Tomorrow I'll be checking two other area shops for better ammo to try with the new rig.Overall I'm happy as a coyote running to the animal in distress heard off in the distance Big Grin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one here in England,which I reamed to a 22 K-Hornet,ideal light weight fox rifle. the set trigger is good to. As for the reverse saftey catch,I believe BRNO (pre CZ) based/copied features from American rifles... didn't the first 1000 winchester Mod.70's have a similar safty?...

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a .223 Lux and liked it OK, but I wanted a 1in8" twist and it was cheaper to trade for a Tikka T3 .223. I like the Tikka better, especially the trigger.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote