THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Vintage Belgian Mauser - What mount do I need?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Belgian Mauser - What mount do I need?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pseudo-military FN mauser action that I'm struggling to find the right mount to use.

It has the military thumb cutout and it has a recess where there once was a stripper clip slot. However, it has a civilian bolt handle (not welded to be bent, originally made as bent) and it does not have a "hump" on the rear ring of the receiver.

The hole pattern is 2 holes on front ring, 1 hole on rear ring. The rear ring does not have a "bump" it is flat like a commercial action. Front holes are center-to-center at the typical .860". The single rear hole is roughly 4.30" from the back hole to the closest front hole. Roughly 5.15" from back hole to farthest front hole.

Which one piece base do I need for this no-hump configuration? I'm assuming vintage redfield / beuhler style is the answer, but I think there were commercial and civilian models and different hole spacings.

Thanks Internet Gun genius with the answer wherever you are!

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Warne makes a base as does Talley.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redfield, Leupold, warne Talley, weaver, most scope makes rings and bases for that FN..BTW An FN is an FN, not a Mauser, a common mistake among all shooters!! Close but no ceeegarr. Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42165 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
BTW An FN is an FN, not a Mauser, a common mistake among all shooters!! Close but no ceeegarr. Eeker

?!

Please explain...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...base-mauser-98-gloss

Thanks, Craigster. Your response was the closest to the mark. THat mount is "close" in physical dimensions but it has what appears to be a hump in the bottom back bridge for a military style action. I did find a very, very similar vintage redfield base that I ordered hopeful that the spacing might be correct.

As to the rest of the folks that responded, you didn't read my question very well. Making recommendations like Talley was a bit ridiculous. Talley makes two piece bases. That's for four holes. They don't make once piece bases. I have a 3-hole mauser action with no hump with the hole spaceing I specified. Warne, weaver, talley, etc are not in that line of business.

I have a mauser that came from belgium, no definitive evidence it is an FN or not but I've guessed it is an FN based soley upon country of origin. All I can do is report its configuration and the hole spacing rather.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Since your action has no charger hump either an FN Commercial Style or Unaltered 98 type base could fit. But, which base to use is determined by the hole spacing, not the style of base. Best to contact the manufacturers, most of which offer both style bases, and see which of their bases has the same hole spacing as your receiver.

What you have is an altered Military style 98 action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I think I have this base. I'll measure mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Rookhawk:
[QUOTE]https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...base-mauser-98-gloss

Posts: 6486 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote