New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got to have a silencer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gonna put it on my new 6.5 Creedmore. Any suggestions as to brand or type????

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Thunder Beast Ultra

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ready to wait forfriggenever.......just disgusting!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thunderbeast.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pancho, Been thinking the same thing myself. Please update us on your experience(s).

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way. It has been 8 monthso that ATF has had my money, and still waiting.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Suppressed Armament Systems Arbiter MX for my 30 cal and 6.5 cal rifles. Very happy with it.

Colonial Armory is a good place to work with.

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Pancho I have an AAC 7.62 sdn-6 on my 243 rem..Look at the silencer shop web site..They have new kiosks that make buying easier. There is a bill in congress to remove the atf requirement. Requardless they are fun to shoot.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two. I'd suggest Thunderbeast Ultra 9

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's worth the wait

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting until Congress passes the Hearing Protection Bill. Will be interesting
to see which wait is longer. shocker

It will be as interesting to see if the bill allows ordering direct or the need
to order through the FFL.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:
I'm waiting until Congress passes the Hearing Protection Bill. Will be interesting
to see which wait is longer. shocker

It will be as interesting to see if the bill allows ordering direct or the need
to order through the FFL.

I read that the proposed legislation will require one to go go through same process as buying a firearm. Shame I hear that, across the pond, you can buy a suppressor off the shelf to n a hardware store. Using gun mufflers is considered a common courtesy to your neighbor.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Matt, I wish it was quite that simple .....

..... here in The Fatherland I asked my local firearms authority in Hessen (each German State is sadly still highly divided concerning this issue) about the possibilty of a supressor? I was completely overwhelmed when their response was "submit a justification".

After a simple Google search; primarily based on my European Union "right" to hearing protection; I returned the following morning with written justification in hand.

One week later I received approval.

I'll not go into any of the licensing proceedures here; since I live here - I live by their rules, period. In this case I was pleased with the prompt result.

The supressor is listed by serial number on my Firearms Registration and not specifically designated for a particular rifle, so legally (and safely), I can attach it to any 30 caliber (or smaller caliber) long gun I own.

Yes, the Brits look at you like you come from Mars IF you do not possess or use a supressor. Despite their otherwise strict firearms licensing; they are miles ahead of lots of other countries on their shooting comfort and noise abatement perspective.

Pancho,

I use an A-Tec MagaHertz+ on my Blaser R93 300 Weatherby. The gunsmith's opinion was I required a large can due to the amount and velocity of 300 Weatherby gas. Personally, I Dunno as I'm not much of a can expert. Did some research based on my gunsmith's reco and agreed as the A-Tec is manufactured for various 30 caliber magnums & the 338 Lapua Magnum, so ..... whatever, Dear.

I'm pleased with the can.

The Plusses & Minussess .....

I'll be the first to admit that with the Stanley Thermos sized can I've not got much of a stalking rifle anymore as the rifle's balance without a 1lb recoil reducer in the butt stock makes it extremely muzzle heavy; with the Kick-Stop in the buttstock the balance is now sorta O.K. but certainly not optimal. Variances apply.

It's an over barrel type can with about 4" of 9" can back over the barrel. Since I did not want to reduce the 25.6" barrel length for the 300 Weatherby cartridge, I opted for an over-barrel vs. flush mounted can. A flush mounted can would have resulted in a much longer rifle. The rifle still remains long and unbalanced; so I use it for stand hunting only. Lesser cartridges may not require such a large can, again, variances apply but as an example I wouldn't hesitate to lop a .308 Winchester off to 18" or 20" to assist in reducing barrel length.

I hear virtually nothing at the shot, except for a loud hiss and the recoil is reduced to what feels to me like that of a .223 Remington; so yeah, a hard(er) recoiler like the 300 Weatherby is now a completly different animal to shoot, only Too Cool!

After 1 hunting season behind me with the can; my opinion is that when shooting at (1 animal, of course) deer herds; they haven't a clue where the shot originated from; affording multiple culls, if that's what the scenario calls for. At @ shot #4 they still don't know where the sound originates but haul ass simply because something isn't Hoyle as their ilk are dropping around them like flies. The loudest and most rewarding noise I hear is the solid bullet slap.

While the 7 Basic Shooting Fundamentals still apply to every shot, it's simply just that much more enjoyable when recoil & muzzle blast is virtually eliminated.

Good luck with your supressor, I really like mine.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what I read was regarding England.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buying the suppressor might be easy, it is the firearm part that is more burdensome in the UK and Europe.

If the current government configuration we have now can't get suppressors redly available then we need to vote everyone of them out.

Of all the no brainers this is surely one.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did it. Mailed my Form and check yesterday. Bought a Silencer Tech on recommendation of my dealer. 7" long and weight 18 oz. Now I settle down for the loooong wait. Dealer advises 6 to 8 months.
Wonder how fast I would get approved if the US Govt was paid based on performance instead of time spent behind the desk and years of service????

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote