THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    The Peoples Opinion - .17 v. .223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Peoples Opinion - .17 v. .223
 Login/Join

<Wildcat>
posted
alrighty then.

i would like people with experience or related to give me the run down on the .17 (mach IV or close size) vs. the popular .223

i would ask you to disregard price, ease of loading, etc.

BASE YOUR JUDGEMENT ONLY ON PERFORMANCE AND RELATED ITEMS

thank you all and let the games begin :d

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty good luck with the .17 Rem on coyotes out to about 300 yards. Probably somewhere in the area of 100 or so taken with it. I have taken 4 Mule deer, 5 antelope, and one small bull elk with the Remington. All were one shot kills inside 150 yards. Most were head shots. The last deer I shot with one was hit at about 100m in both lungs. Took me 3 hours to find him dead. No blood trail at all. I think it is a great varmint round inside 300 yards. I have retired it as a big game round.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The serious coyote hunters seem to really like the 17's, the high velocity really dumps them, and the little bullets don't mess up the hide.

I shot a buddies 17 jet, pretty similar to a mack IV, recoil is non existant, and the 4000 fps at the muzzle is pretty impressive.

The 223 is a better choice past 200 yds, and is an amazingly versitile round. While the 17 is neat, and good for specific applications, I would go with the 223.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Wildcat
If you really want to know everything possible about 17's go to www.coyotegods.com. They have a few guys over there that really know their stuff.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I wouldn't even begin to pick between the two.
Get one of each and be happy!

<333-OKH>
posted
Ol' Sarge is right. Having had both in a Contender I can assure you nothing is more fun than both. Can you ever have enough toys? As to effectiveness, every ctg. has it's limitations, usually they are not as great as those of the shooter.

------------------
If Elmer didn't say it, it probably ain't true.

<Jordan>
posted
Wildcat:

I have become a .20 cal. convert. I've owned a ton of .17s---couple Mach IVs, couple Javelinas, .17 VLD, .17 Rem., etc. There is nothing wrong with .17s, but I like the way the .20 splits the difference. The Tactical .20 (based on .223 case) will launch a 33 grain Hornady VMAX to 4300 fps in the right gun. The only drawback of the twenty is not enough bullet manufacturers. I believe that problem is going to be relieved over time because the .20s are becoming so popular.

My .02 worth.

Jordan

<JoeM>
posted
Jordan
Exactly what is a 17 VLD?

Have a good day

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<jim saubier>
posted
I like the .17 Remington over the .223 for a couple of reasons. Recoil is so low on the .17's that you can spot your impacts - watch the action unfold in the scope. The noise level is low, although not much difference between the .223 and .17 rem. And the trajectory is extremely flat out to 300 yards.

The .17 VLD is a .17 on the .223 case that has a near straight taper and sharper neck. It was designed by Todd Kindler to shoot the fast twist barrels and the VLD bullets (37 grain Very Low Drag).

www.saubier.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The post from Id somwhat bother me as I live in Co and we have a min bullet for big game hunting and it is not a 17 cal. I own a 17 Rem, 17machiv, 223, 223AI and afew 222. If the wind is not a factor the 17's are fun to shoot. If your looking for a rifle to shoot in most conditions I would say go with the 223. I always take a back up rifle when I take a 17. As to loading I use Wilson and Neil Jones dies and I try hard not to work the brass too much. If I had to choose between a 17 Rem, 223 or a 222 I would go with a 222. Over the years I've shot a 17/223 and a 17/222 and the biggest problem I have now with the 17 is the bullets . You just cann't walk in a buy a box of 17 cal bullets. Everything is special order. Well good luck!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to vote for the 223. It will do everything the .17 can and more, its more stable wind wise, better bullet selection, recoil is not a factor on either one but you can get componets for the 223 anywhere.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
I'm with Rich. Another big plus with the 223 is less bore fouling. sure-shot