THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    !7 Remington loads equivalent to 17 HMR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

!7 Remington loads equivalent to 17 HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted
Hi, would anyone have any recommendations for the 17 Rem running a reduced load somewhere near to the 17 HMR?
Please be aware that I am in the UK and have 'limited' access to just getting another rifle!
The reduced load scenario is quite appealing for some 'urban' rabbit control where the HMR is around the limit I'd like to use. 3k fps would be about maximum and cool running so that it does not beat up my 17Rem!

Thank you gents!

Posts: 33 | Location: UK | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Wow this place has really gone downhill!

Anyway x.xg Bluedot app. 20kpsi pressure 100%powder burn ~3k ft/sec. That'll do it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try IMR Trail Boss Powder

Designed primarily for reduced loads in pistol cartridges it works really well in rifle calibres.
30grs bullet and 8 grs of powder should give you approx 2300fps.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Do not have any trail boss and do not use 30g bullets! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. Lets go back to square 1. What do you have. What can you obtain?

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Well bullet is 20gn dogtown HP
Powders.. well I'm not inclined to obtain any new powders.
Have plenty bluedot and sr4759

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha!
Guess you're well and truely stumped then.

SR4759 works much like Trail Boss. I'd go have a play with that. I doubt you'll get down to 2500ftb using 20grs bullets though.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Writer:
Well bullet is 20gn dogtown HP
Powders.. well I'm not inclined to obtain any new powders.
Have plenty bluedot and sr4759

Hi mate,

I'm not sure that loading down to HMR levels is particularly advisable given the case capacity but FWIW my calcs suggest a starting point of 15 grains with 4759 and around 10 grains with Bluedot.

You know the score with calculated data mate so I'll leave it in your hands.

Hows do by the way?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Fine Amir, hope you are ok too!
Where you calculate the sr4759 load from?

Probly give you a bell this eve if you are around

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe

I found this thread http://forums.accuratereloadin...541004341#6541004341

Looks like you have been looking for the answer for some time.

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Yeah always looking, but have a real need now!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mate that guy doesn't have two brain cells to rub together and as you can see, a knowledge of reloading to match, I wouldn't bother. Wink

I had a word with an offline friend who has a fair amount of experience with the cartridge and did the calcs on QL with some of his data to "calibrate" it.

The problem is erratic pressure, in that regard 4759 is better than bluedot, according to my friend and my own limited experience with it in reduced loads, as it is more bulky.

Pressure wise the calcs call it low, below 30Kpsi for both with velocities of a bit over 3K but in your rifle, etc.

I don't think you'll go far wrong but note that the .17 Rem seems to be the darling of speed merchants; so while there's a lot of data on making it go fast, there isn't much the other way.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always best to ask as friend Goober. Especially when you don't know squat yourself! hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best of luck. You'll need it with our home grown know it all(I'll ask a friend) on your bench. Wink

Don't say I didn't warn you.

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Amir, that file will come in handy and I'll let you know results!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.reloadersnest.com/f...page.asp?CaliberID=3

I use this site when I am looking for starting points for loads. Lots of good info.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, saw one load for sr4759 and 20 grain bullet there!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
In so much as you are only willing to use the two powders you already have and the 20 gr. bullets you already have, in a case which was never intended to yield that sort of result, why don't you work-up (or in this case work-down) your own loads?

Doesn't seem to me that would take a lot of trying. Just progressively decrease powder charges from whatever on-line standard charges you can find, and try them at the range or in the field.

If you find something you like when using your own rifle, then there is no guessing, and no deviation from some one else's results because of potential differences in your bores, chambers, etc.

One can't expect ANY site to just open a lid in the top of the seeker's head and pour in knowledge.
--------------------------------------------

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own squirrel loads with the 22.5 gr cast bullets from years ago. 2 grs of bullseye pwd and at around 1700 fps. I am the only one that I know that has tried this in a 17 Rem and a Martini cadet 218 Ack. Imp. Bee.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
In so much as you are only willing to use the two powders you already have and the 20 gr. bullets you already have, in a case which was never intended to yield that sort of result, why don't you work-up (or in this case work-down) your own loads?

Doesn't seem to me that would take a lot of trying. Just progressively decrease powder charges from whatever on-line standard charges you can find, and try them at the range or in the field.

If you find something you like when using your own rifle, then there is no guessing, and no deviation from some one else's results because of potential differences in your bores, chambers, etc.

One can't expect ANY site to just open a lid in the top of the seeker's head and pour in knowledge.
--------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that I gave you the impression that I wanted to be spoon fed, better just to keep the mouth shut here then than ask for help in assessing data as it's not so forthcoming.

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
My own squirrel loads with the 22.5 gr cast bullets from years ago. 2 grs of bullseye pwd and at around 1700 fps. I am the only one that I know that has tried this in a 17 Rem and a Martini cadet 218 Ack. Imp. Bee.

Real nice! Thank you for sharing!

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
I always knew that there was a reason for not posting here much. This place really has gone downhill with the abrupt and frankly rude attitude that prevails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe
You orginally tried you luck at finding an answer to your question on AR 2 years ago.With out success. Yet here you are again but this time you have recieved several suggestion. Has it takne you this long to realse there is no such thing as a free lunch?

From what I can see the only person being abrupt and rude is you. Perhaps you would be happier seeking the advise of Goobers mythical friend. With Goober acting as a know nothing go between. A role he appears to have been bred for.

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
That is the sort of high handed reply I expect.
Now instead of just posting for the sake of it do you actually have anything real to add or just posting because you have nowt better to do?

I came and asked the question again to re-visit this idea and to see if anything else has happened in the interim - if there was new data
available to assess, hence asking for "recommendations".
Unfortunately some apply a high handed attempt with a 'point scoring' attitude as shown above. Now I'm not bleating and crying about it. I understand that most forums have experts who jump in without engaging the brain - I'm also not interested in engaging you - jools as you do not seem to post anything of value, you seem to be here only to argue and insult - well try that with someone who gives a shit. Life is not just about the easy option, one needs to expand the mind as well instead of sitting in your own little rut.

Welcome to my ignore list!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe
quote:
That is the sort of high handed reply I expect.

I'm so glad that we haven't disappointed you.Perhaps a little less attitude in the first instance might have gotten you the kind of response you were looking for.

Sadly that moment has passed and we're now on the downward slope. In regards to the "couldn't give a shit". The feeling is mutal.

Ignorance is bliss.

One of Us
Picture of Joe Writer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the help John!
And if you do have that powder data Amir, I would really appreciate it!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe
Try 17gr of H 4895.
Hodgdon recommends H-4895 down to 70* of maximum in any cartridge where it is suggested.
I like Less Brooks have used Bullseye in everything from 243 to 17 Hornet but a double charge could be fatal. I have also used 4227 in the 17 Remington but I can't find the data. Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto for Trail Boss, I've been using it on 17 ah AND 17 TActicaL as well

Posts: 185 | Location: Greenwich, CT | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote