Find
Notify
Tools

extreemly happy !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up my Roberts today.
Its a custom springfield 03 , chamberd for the good old .257 Bob.
I have owned for a while now but I gave it back to my smith for a checkering job.
As soon as I can I will get a picture posted.
There is a before picture posted on the thread Roberts is done.
The wood is much browner than it looks on the picture , and the checkering really sets it off.
I replaced the vented recoil pad with an old english pachmyer , and the matt finished leupold with a gloss VX2 3X9.
It looks great.
I took it out to shoot with 3 loads. While all 3 were good enough the 100 grain balistic tip over IMR 4350 was hands down the best with a 3 round group at .45.
The 117 grain sierra did just over an inch and the 100 grain sierra game king was about an inch and a half.
I could'nt be happier with the way it turned out. pics will be posted asap...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Thomas, congrats on the good shooting! It's always great when a rifle does exactly what it's supposed to do.

My 257 seems to prefer 117gr. bullets and shoots the SST with 42-43.0 gr. of IMR 4350 into sub 3/4" groups. The Sierra GK 117 I shot today with 44.0gr. of H4350 went into a perfect cloverleaf.

Funny how one rifle prefers one thing to another...still, 100gr. Sierra's punch 3/4" groups as well...

Anyway, do post up the checking pix!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I just love a nice rifle on a Springfield action. They can be so light and handy... a great sporting rifle action.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up several bullets with IMR-4350, That seems to be a good powder in this rifle.
I figure if the 2 sierra bullets that shot decently on my 1st shoot do much better (I bet they do) with IMR-4350. I will have a good start on working up hunting loads.
I want to get a good load with bullets of several weights.
Then decide on witch will be best for mule deer black tail and antilope.
A good hundred grain load for general purpose shooting cyotes up through deer is all I really need, but what the hell, its fun to work up loads.
I put a gloss Leupold VX2 , 3X9 on her.
I am getting a new digi cam this weekeend pictures on the way !...tj3006

freedom1st