THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Oversize firing pin in .17 Rem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oversize firing pin in .17 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
Anybody have any success in using an oversize firing pin ( Holland) in a .17 Rem to reduce cratering? I put a 32# spring in mine and it helps but doesn't totally resolve the problem. My gun was built on a Rem 700 action that was a .223 before it became a .17 and I believe the cratering is due to a sloppy fit between the factory firing pin and the bolt hole. I've tried different primers and they all crater. It's not due to overpressure!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan C>
posted
I have the Holland pin in my 19-223 Calhoon, fitted within .002" to the hole, and it craters as bad as ever. The solution is to bush the firing pin hole in your bolt and use a .062" firing pin. The smaller pin has less surface area for the primer to flow against......less cratering. Gre-Tan Rifles does this mod for $40, and it works. The phone # is 970.353.6176

Dan C

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep! As usual, Dan is correctamundo.
The bushed firing pin hole is 40% smaller in area.
The cratering IS from pressure......A "focused" pressure of a relatively small bore, in combination with a relatively large flash hole.

Friend Of The 17,
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote