Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate .22s
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about buying a .22LR. I was wondering who you think makes, consistantly, the most accurate production bolt repeaters.
Could you break it down into maybe three price groups, ie around $200 to $300, then about $350 to $500, and finely from $600 on up. I realise I'm asking a lot from you guys, but I really need the help. I think this might be my last .22 purchase so I wish to buy the best I can but have not decided how much I will spend.
Norman

Posts: 9 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
One that I would add to that group would be the EAA Biatholon for a toggle bolt action.

I have one and think that it is up there with the accurate ones in a price range of $300-$400.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what "accurate" means to you but we own a couple 22s that will shoot well under an inch at 50 yards. My CZ452 will do it, so will my son's Kimber Hunter. The CZ is in your middle category unless you have luck shopping. The Kimber is in the spendy class. Based on personal experience anything with the name Anchutz on it - bolt or straight pull - will meet your needs; the Ruger 77/22 might or might not. Other rifles with strong reputations include the Sako Quadfire and those by Cooper.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Anschutz

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Frank ; Anschutz Also Walther,Kimber down from there . I've been told by a friend who's buddy has some Russian job that it's Very accurate also . He showed me a few of the guys targets from when they shot together ,they were impressive !. I can't remember what the Name of it was and he told me . Senior moment !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I have 3 differant Ruger M77/22's that are scary accurate. I bought the first one a long time ago, Walnut and Blue, with sights. It shot so well that I bought the next one just to see if it was as good. It was better! Target grey and laminated stock. This is the most accurate rimfire rifle I've ever shot! Then to round out the group I bought a Stainless/Boat paddle for knocking around, the other two are way to nice to drag around the boonies. The stainless shoots as well as the others. These rifles are full size rifles, and great pratice rifles if you already shoot Ruger M77's for other shooting duties.
A little pricey but they sure are fine rifles.
These are elegant weapons from a more civilized age... wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Anschutz's on the 54 action would be tops, but expensive, then the 64's and CZ's. For the money, my CZ 452 is hard to beat.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Suhl-$500-$600 for one in good shape.

One of the most accurate 22's ever.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I like the classics

Anschutz, Winchester 52/75, Remington 40x. The money you put in will always come back.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it an Anschutz is worth it. I bought my grandson a CZ452; it is nearly as accurate as my Anschutz, but the trigger, wood, and finish aren't nearly as nice.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a kimber and an anschutz. They are close but the kimber does just a bit better. These are average 50 yd groups out of the kimber.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
my CZ 452 shoots about 25 shots, and gives me a 30/06 sized one hole group at 50 yds...

I originally paid $199.00 for it...but the same rifle is about $300.00 now..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Penwolf, Welcome Aboard!

Good question with lots of possibilities. The $$$High$$$ end is well covered by the other folks, so I'll go for the less expensive end and recommend a Marlin 22LR Bolt Action.

Ifyou can find one that was made prior to the new "T-900" trigger, they are easy to adjust with a slight bit of Honing and changing the Trigger Spring to a piece of one from a Ball Point Pen. I've not had a chance to shoot one of the new ones with the T-900 trigger and it may be great.
-----

A good bit of the "Accuracy" in any rimfire is dependant on the specific Cartridges you are using. It would seem logical that you could simply buy the Federal Gold Medal or one of the Eley products and have the most accurate ammo going. That would be true in "some" firearms, but not all of them.

The only way to get the very best accuracy out of any 22LR is to try lots of different Brands and Types within those Brands. Just because some is expensive and some is cheap does not necessarily mean the most expensive will be the most accurate in a specific firearm.

Then once you find a specific type your firearm really likes, go back to the same store with the Lot# and get a bunch.
-----

Oh yes, a scope designed so the Parallax can be adjusted between 10yds and out is also a help. It can stop what "appears to be" random group wideners(not fliers) in some situations.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
for an everyday gun for plinking but also pretty darn good accuracy, I vote for CZ or Marlin. both well built.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazingly enough the most consistently accurate 22 L.R. that I have used have been the Win. M-63 auto..They all seem to shoot..Jack Belk also is of that opinion as are a number of knowledgable gunsmith I have talked to...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ 452 Varmint.
Spend $14 on an Eric Brooks trigger kit.
MOA at 100yds with decent ammo.
I am amazed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not post this on the rimfire forum?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the frustration of knowing the shot did not go where the sights were aimed, I shelved my Winchester and my Ruger and bought and Anschutz MS. The best I ever grouped with it was 5 shots in an inch and one quarter at 200 yds. Superior trigger, superior lock time superior action.....Anschutz are simply superior but also expensive. I paid $1500.00 back then. Worth every penny.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanky you, gentlemen. I appreciate all of your input. It looks like Anschutz gets the nod, especially sense Kimber is no longer selling their .22.
Norman

Posts: 9 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with an Anschutz. Having said that, I don't believe that the MS is a repeater, at least mine isn't, which was one of your criteria. Still, a 1412/1512 or whatever they call them now, are not only accurate, but look good as well. They may not have the fancy walnut that some of the other makes do, but are handsome nevertheless.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Anschutz

Agreed

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Hands down, the most accurate 22 LR I've ever owed is my Savage bolt action (non-Acutrigger, but with trigger job performed on it.) I shoot SK Standard Plus ammo in it and it puts shots very near the same hole all day long. For the price, it just can't be beat. I out-shoot (my Savage out-shoots) all my buddies at our "just for fun competitions." Smiler

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Sako 94. I think that is the pre-Finnfire designation. It really does well. The stock is more of a hunting stock than a bench shooter. Great for standing target practice. Got mine used at a good price. No way I can justify spending fat dough on a 22 just to shoot squirrels.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nzsr
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77/22: Mine is very accurate and feels like a full sized rifle,I think you get alot of Rifle for your money .

Posts: 27 | Location: Kiwi by birth,Norway for work | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the new Weatherby 22 made by Anschutz. One nice rifle.

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I picked up an Anshutz, Model 54, imported by Savage that had a Leupold scope on it and paid $ 700 at a gun show. It is a very accurate and pleasant rifle to shoot.

I also bought a Sako Finfire from a fellow AR member here on the AR Classifieds for $ 600, which is a one hole shooter; meaning when I am done, there is one ragged hole about a 1/2" diameter.

Couldn't recommend anthing else any higher.

If I am at the range and start flinching from magnum calibers, I switch to the LR for a while and get my proper trigger squeeze back.

Once you have an exceptional LR, you ask yourself why you spent so much money, time and effort with production grade rifles. You won't go back or ever sell the really good ones like Sako or Anshutz.

Good luck in your quest.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the price, it is very tough to beat a CZ 452 22RF for accuracy. I have one, and the last group I shot with it at 50 yards measured 3/16" for four shots. They were the last four bullets in the box. Wolf Match target ammo.
Mine is the American Model, the one with the good wood.. My Anschutz Model 1710 didn't shoot any better.

Don

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Anschütz. I have the 1418 and the 1710. The former is accurate (.5 MOA at 50 m) but then the 1710 is something quite special and will keep 5 < .25 MOA at 50 m with math ammo.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Anschutz are very good 22's.

However back when I shot 22 LR Sillhoute Matches, many of us shot Remington 541 rifles, because they were more accurate than the Anschutz's we tested.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Anschutz +1 on the Sako Finnfire as well I have several Anschutz and a Finnfire Also have a Kliengunther K-22 I think it is actually a 201 Mauser or a Voere it shoots the elcheapo ammo extremly well and the more money you spend on ammo the better it shoots.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not surprisingly, Hot Core gives good advice: Whichever rifle you settle on, try lots of different kinds of ammo.

For an outfit specializing in accurate target rifles, many smallbores, try MT Guns.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Both my dad and I have CZ 452's, and with good reason. They are SILLY accurate. His is a 452 Lux and mine is a 452 American LH. For the $$, I can't see a better deal on a pretty nice .22. Take a look at them and see what you think!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I have several accurate .22's including a CMP Kimber a Remington 541, but my favorite is a stainless Ruger 77/22. I did replace the trigger on the Ruger and it is much pickier about ammo than the other, but shooting what it likes it is a handy and remarkably accurate squirrel rifle.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote