THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I Did It. Weather by Vanguard

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Did It. Weather by Vanguard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After saying I wouldn’t buy another rifle with a synthetic, I went into a local mom&pop, asked if they had anything in .22-250, and he pulls a Vanguard Weatherguard Bronze from the wall.

I had never held one, so I played with the darn thing, cycling the action (verrry smooth), getting adapted to the two stage (but very crisp), balancing everything out, and pulled the trigger.

I got to say it is a pretty thing with bronze action and barrel and black synthetic stock with bronze flaked throughout the black. Put on Warne bases and rings.

Walked out with the rifle, bases, and rings for under $800. Ive never owned a Weatherby, blaspheme on me, but I have repented. I’ll order a Hawke scope tomorrow and mount and zero in next week.

Talk about a spur of the moment. Wow. Oh, by the way it’s a .22-250. Got plenty of ammo to play with.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They are great guns, I am sure it will prove to be very accurate for you.

The safety and the trigger on them are really good. It's what sold me on the Howa's also.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a Weatherby Vanguard, but do own a Howa 308 Win and find no faults with it other than replacing the synthetic stock with a nice walnut one by Stocky’s.

You will like it more each day.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it does. And how you like the Hawke scope. I like the Vanguard-Howa actions a lot. Stiffer than a 700.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have one Weatherby rifle in 257 Weatherby. I never imagined or thought that I would own one either, but this was a custom shop Weatherby with a beautiful blue/gray laminated stock and stainless/silver action barrel. I mounted a Leupold silver/stainless scope on the rifle and love it! I do have a number of Weatherby SXS shotguns that I enjoy hunting with, but that is another matter. . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Let us know how it does. And how you like the Hawke scope. I like the Vanguard-Howa actions a lot. Stiffer than a 700.

God Bless, Louis

Yes, I’ll report on range time ASAP. I already am using a Hawke Vantage on my Steyr Classic Mannlicher full stock in .30-06 and so far it’s great, it’s the IR version.

I had never heard of Hawke until a couple months ago and was doing internet searches for best scopes for the money. The Hawke kept coming out towards the top. Hawke will not get recognition because their prices are so low and they won’t pay celebrities to promote them.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a couple of Vanguards and they are well made and accurate rifles. I know what you mean about synthetic stocks though, that is why I eventually sold them both. Replaced them with walnut stocked rifles. (not weatherbys)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of things I dislike about weatherby rifles.

I have a vanguard in .257 that puts bullet on top of bullet, and the bore looks like crap. I paid $300 for it brand new.

I also have a classic mark, with beautiful walnut and a classic American stock without the Monte Carlo comb. I’ve never seen another one for sale in the last decade, and is more accurate than I can shoot it.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougfinn:
I’ve had a couple of Vanguards and they are well made and accurate rifles. I know what you mean about synthetic stocks though, that is why I eventually sold them both. Replaced them with walnut stocked rifles. (not weatherbys)

One of these days I will have either satterlee or mnr build me a rifle with one of their English styled synthetic stocks. Fat and away better than anything I have ever seen,

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Vanguard in 257 Bee this week. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but planning on trying some 80gr TTSX's in it. I, also, hate their synthetic stocks and will likely replace it shortly with a B&C. This is my second Vanguard, had another in 300 win mag years ago, and it shot phenomenally. I expect the same from this one.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
From my reading, I think Vanguards are MOA rifles. MY 257 Weatherby was and my 223 is with certain ammo is. I think you will be well satisfied with the rifle. Best of luck.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Weatherby rifles and they are all accurate with the right load. I bought a Vanguard in 257 Wby a few years ago and it shoots great with 100gr TSX or TTSX bullets. It has become my primary deer rifle now.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My youngest son has had good success with his Weatherby Vanguard 7mm-08, taking red deer and several bull tahr. The Vanguard is noticeably heavier compared with a Remington 700SPS or the Marlin XS synthetic stocks rifles that myself and other two sons use, all in short action 7mm-08.

The Vanguard trigger can be adjusted to a good let off and is a smooth and accurate rifle.
I smirk a little at mention of changing the synthetic stocks to wood. Obviously don't hunt in conditions we do where plastic now reigns supreme, one hunt on Tahr and I bet you couldn't get rid of your walnut stock quick enough Big Grin

Plastic works fine under any condition so why change it, a wooden stock doesn't make a sows ear into a silk purse.

Here's a Weatherby Vanguard after some action.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love the pics and the trophies! tu2