Find
Notify
Tools

Killing Thousands of Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Here there are very many hunters who have done over the thousand and many who do that every year.

Some are contracted to do about 400 a month.

There is nothing special about it and it is not anything that is bragged about. It is just what people do for a job.

While it is a job, especially back in the day, they were hunters and had to hunt them on foot and for that reason they tended to use 222s so they could carry more ammo.

As I said it is not considered anything out of the ordinary.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Did I just feel a breath of fresh air Hamish? Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Ammo Troop:
and I do know a couple people who are well over the 1k mark.

popcornQuite an informative posting. Thanks beerroger

Just so it is known, those two individuals are farmers (big farms) who get all kinds of permits, especially since they have grass airstrips on the property. They are involved with Hunters Against Hunger and a lot of the meat taken on their farms are for that cause. They also donate it locally for Boy Scout get togethers, church happenings and to those locally who need help. I don't think either of them have more than 2 deer mounted. They are not in it for trophies and they don't ask for anything in return.

They do have a good management set up though. If you hunt on the farm you have to kill a doe before you take a buck. Buck has be a grown deer, no teenagers so to speak and it must be a nice 8 point or better.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapBoy! This thread just took a pleasant civil turn. Yes, Dorthy, there is a Santa Claus but he can't spell "to good either. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a few. I still call it stalking as it's all on foot, in daylight and I have a low tolerance for high seats. Sure I use a 'supressor' but I wouldn't hear to well if I didn't and in my experience it makes little odds to numbers.

High deer densities, a tendency to obsession and a reasonable amount of land fairly close by allow high numbers to be achieved.

In key times such as roe and fallow rut I get out at least daily for weeks on end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy in Southern BC who spent 5 or 6 years on New Zealand as a meat hunter. He'd kept some pretty good records on how many and where he'd shot red deer. And what he'd killed them with....223 and 6.5X55 being his main rifles....

Over five years, shooting an average of over 3 deer per day, for better than 360 days a year...(He'd only take a couple days off at christmas time apparently...)

The numbers add up quick....

*Post edited to change deer reference, wasn't roe deer, as they weren't introduced to NZ*

Posts: 38 | Location: Erickson, BC | Registered: 24 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unless you have help cleaning 3 deer per day and preserving the meat properly would be a lot of work. Makes one think about it.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I doubt there is anyone alive today in the US who has killed a 1000 deer.

Remember that's 20 a year for 50 years. Sure it is theoretically possible but I doubt it has been done by anyone alive today.

Are we accounting for someone who may do control work of some sort? Maybe the question specified sport hunting. I am not familiar with any "control" programs out here. Are there any on the Eastern seaboard or in the south? (honest question, thought if such a thing existed, might produce a few 1000+ deer guys)

All that said, of course a .223 will kill a deer, lots of deer. Eventhough I happen to prefer something a little bigger, I'm sure I could kill a deer with a hammer given the appropraite conditions.

Guys like the fellow who sparked this poll are ridiculous and frankly only accomplish anything when we allow them to consume some of our time.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys like the fellow who sparked this poll are ridiculous

well thank you very much for your observation...

the poll was to question the thought that anyone could claim to kill thousands of deer, when another forum member dubiously made such a claim....

the 'poll' was to question the thoughts of fellow forum members of the feasibility of such a claim... nothing more..nothing less...

so if you think that is "ridiculous"..why did you bother to comment?

not trying to be an ass but question your comment about 'ridiculous'..when you never really bothered to ask why and evidently missed the reason why..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It is certainly possible. That said, I do not know if anyone here has done it, or how many people may have ever done it, if any.

I do know of one person from Alabama who set a goal of killing 100 deer in one year, and he certainly managed to do it. He wrote and self-published a book titled "One Hundred Deer" (IIRC) afterward. He was NOT doing control hunting, again IIRC.

Personally, I am not too excited by the whole controversy over this.

It would be fairly common for a person to emphasize a point by saying something like "I've done that (whatever) thousands of times", when if we all actually were counting, maybe he only did it 700 times, or 300 times, or 550 times...

The point still is he may have done it often enough that had he wished to do it obsessively, he COULD have done it 2,000 times....and certainly HAS done the act referred to far more often than many of us to whom he was trying to make his point.

So, sure, we can "trash" that person by either inferring (or flat out saying) he is a "liar". Perhaps technically he is, too. But unless it was his intent to mislead, rather than to make a useful point to inform us, I personally will not hold it qgainst him. Hyperbole is a common technique used probably by the majority of humanity from time-to-time in trying to convince others.

I suspect most of us recognize that and allow for it, at least subconciously. The points made thusly may or may not be "bought" by us, but are probably still useful to incite our thought on whatever the subject is.

It never hurts to cut our fellow man some slack.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
... It never hurts to cut our fellow man some slack.
A wise post! thumb

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote