New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ QA Reliability
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The CZ is new to me and I need some input from you guys with CZ experience. I was considering a 6.5x55 swede in the CZ 550.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll be very happy with a CZ 550 in that calibre .Suggest you get a good gunsmith to smooth up the trigger , pillar and glass bed it .Practically all factory guns can benefit from those mods .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was a good shooter (1 1/4 MOA @ 200 yds) before firelapping. After the procedure, five shot groups in the 3/4 MOA at the same distance are common.

It did not need bedding or a trigger job, just smoothing up the bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ in the 527 model in 17 Remington and this is the only rifle that I own I have not had to do anything with! while I could smooth the trigger a tad this rifle is normally in the p-dog fields so it's set trigger time and I have yet to feel anything but sweet! the barrel is well awsome compaired to my buddies 700 Remington in 17, he has to clean that barrel every 5-8 shots or he will miss a p-dog at 50 yards but I have gone over 50 rounds without a problem hitting a pasture maggot. After this CZ rifle I feel that if I would buy another factory rifle it would be a CZ hands down! and this is from a die hard big green fan. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
all CZ's I have seen shoot well, the 550 is a great rifle, it does need to be put on a diet, the stock is really big and blocky, but other than that is great

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't hear many complaints about the CZ compared to our US made rifles. I think CZ is really putting a dent in our market, and obviously there must be a reason for it. They're very well made rifles. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ's have all been highly accurate and reliable. I really like them. Bolt travel can be a bit on the rough side, but it can be slicked up by a good smith. I love your choice of caliber as well - the 6.5x55 is a great one.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All ,
Many will find the trigger and bedding on the CZ's to their satisfaction .
With a bit of work though , the trigger (set and unset) goes from pretty good to absolutely magnificent ! Invest 50 bucks and see for yourself .
As far as bedding goes I like to get all my rifles pillar and glass bedded and usually do so before I shoot them .
When done properly it eliminates a variable that can lead to poor accuracy or equally importantly to a wandering zero . Cheap insurance at around $100 IMHO .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dwight: I owned nothing but Rugers and a custom rifle before my first CZ. That was a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. After one of the Rugers I learned how to glassbed from Jack Belk in an internet tutorial and telephone tutorial. I thought my Ruger was as good as it could be until I glass bedded the action and first inch and one-half of the barrel and then saw my groups shrink drastically. So, as a matter of rule I glassbed my rifles, with the exception of a Swedish Model 94 Carbine in 6.5x55 in full military dress and all matching numbers. Anyway, the triggers are very easily adjustable and I did not even mess with the set part of the trigger mechanism because it was already just about perfect from the factory. The triggers can be adjusted for pull weight, creep and overtravel. Some people say their rifles came with very rough bolt travel. Mine came no better, or no worse, than the Rugers I owned previously, no worse than the Remingtons my brother owns, in fact, no better or worse than most of the other manufacturers put out. However, if there is one complaint I hear it is about how rough the bolt travel is one these. If the rifle you get does have a rough bolt travel, just work the hell out of the bolt for several hundred times and it will smooth out the bolt travel. One thing I hear a lot of is the accuracy level of the rifles, mostly very good. My 7mm Mauser with my handloads will group three Hornady 162 grain SSTs into sub-half minute of angle most of the time with sandbag rests. The metal work is very good on my rifle. My only big complaint is that CZ usually has some pretty decent Turkish Walnut stocks, but you would never be able to tell it because of the elephant snot finish the company applies to hide the woodgrain. I refinished the stock on my 7x57 and it really has some nice figure to it. I also bought a CZ 527 Lux in .223 Remington, eventually bought one of CZs aftermarket Fancy grade American Walnut stocks for it and have an exceptionally accurate rifle that is a joy to use. Keep in mind that CZ uses very, very long throats in its barrels for the the metric cartridges. The stock is a bit beefy, but I really like it the way it is. CZs are a bit more heavy than your average Remington or Winchester, however, my shooting is done from rests anyway. Overall, I am very impressed with the line of firearms. I am not impressed with the company's decision to drop the 7x57mm caliber from its lineup of available rifle cartridges. My brother bought a CZ 550 Full Stock in a 7x57mm and that is one very sweet little rifle. Good luck. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that commented. Looks like the CZ is a good buy and I was surprised that no bashers commented. I saw one at the range yesterday in a 17 and it looked really nice and I shot it a couple times and liked it. I did not care much for the caliber but liked the rifle.
I have to get and do some shopping now.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550 FS (Mannlicher style) in 6.5x55 and it was very accurate out of the box . It has become my favorite little woods carbine. I worked up a nice 140gr load for it and cleanly took two whitetails with it this year.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
My 6.5x55 after bedding gives a nice 1/2" 3 shot groups with 120 grain Nosler BT's.
The trigger is superb, the stock inletting needed a bit of attention but the rifle has done a superb job laying out every deer I've shot at.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote