THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: 22" barrel: 257 or 25-06?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22" barrel: 257 or 25-06?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Thanks for all your thoughts.

I think I am going to go with the long throat (standard) Roberts. I like the 25-06 just fine and have had good experiences with them in the past, but I will wait until I have a longer barrel to spare for that task. I've also had (have) a number of Roberts, most of which (all?) have been on Rem short actions (722s mostly). With the long action I can make full use of the Nosler 115 BT and the Hornady 120 HP. Bob AI would be nice too, but I've got that slated for a pushfeed 70 SA.

I'm hoping for 2900-2950 fps with 120s at 50000 CUP, but we'll see. Barrel is a 1-10" twist, BTW.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what you want the rifle for...I really like the mild recoiling 257 Robts and 250 Savage..The do good work on deer and will do an elk in a pinch...and they seem more appropreate with a 22" barrel than a 25-06...

It's really up to you and won't make a lot of difference one way or the other...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I have a spare fluted 25 caliber barrel laying around. However, it is finished at 22". I also have a spare 721 action laying around. So, now, what to do?

Since it is a long action, I could have the throat cut to allow 3"ish OAL for Bob or I could go with a 25-06. I am thinking that, out of a 22" barrel and given that Bob will have a long throat, that the 25-06 will use more powder and give more recoil and muzzle blast for nearly no gain in fps. Thoughts?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Even with a 22" the 25-06 will give you an increase of 100-150FPS. But, as you say it will come with using more powder.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a long throated 257 Bob Ackley, it will everything the 25-06 will in a 22" barrel. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 257's with 22 & 24" barrels, there is only a few fps difference between the lengths.. actually more difference between remington and shilen barrels..all the articles in rifle & reloading say there is little difference between a std & ackley roberts..since you reload i'd just build a long throared 257 standard roberts..i get 2900 fps from a 22" roberts %& 3050 frpm a 24" 25'06

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
You got it right ,Tom roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Listen to Dan, Tom,& Roger !

The .257 Bob with handloads is nipping the heals of the .25-06. I have one with a 22" tube and it is a good length for this round.
I just started working with a .25-06 I won in a raffle and am not sure there's much advantage over the Bob. There is more recoil and blast and I'm not even up to the max loads yet.

P.S. If the "spare" parts are getting to ya, send them to me!!!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the twist on the barrel? That would influence me more than the cartridge choice probably. My Bob does about 3000 and change with 115 gr Nosler Partitions, 3400 + with the 85 ballistic tip, accuracy with the 115 and 120's abysmal, the BT's stellar. I guess my thinking is that if it's a slower twist it may not handle the longer bullets well, thus you would be building a short barrel varmint rifle. 1:10 or faster and maybe you got a good walking rifle for deer etc. Application is more important than cartridge IMO.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I agree with you on this. I had a 24" .25/'06, and always thought it should have been at least a 26" tube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would go with the 257 Roberts, regardless of barrel length.

Tradition, and efficiency. Why burn out a barrel twice as fast for another 200 fps, which you can compensate for by going up 2 clicks on your scope adjustment any?

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now there is the truth for you! And what is more, the .257 Roberts is such a joy to shoot!
-mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd prefer a 24" barrel in either the .257Roberts or the .25-06. I just think a 22" tube defeats the purpose of a .25-06. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote