THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Opinions on Remington VSSF II

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Remington VSSF II
 Login/Join

posted
Am looking for opinions on the above rifle. Can I expect this to be an accurate rifle out of the box? Have pretty much decided on 220 swift. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have this rifle in the first edition in a 22-250. I think that it is one of the most accurate rifles that I've ever had and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's one of those shooters that you would never ever sell.

Accuracy is superb with groups of 50 gr NBT running about 3800fps going into the .3-.5's consistently. With an outstanding trigger it is awesome in the field and lends itself to very confident shooting based upon your experience with it.

I can't think of a better/accurate rifle to get than the one you are looking at.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they first came out with the VSSF line in 220 swift and I liked it so well that I bought one for my dad.

I second what Teancum has said about the accuracy. I also shoot the 50gf NBT as well.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 221 Fireball, and I wish I could buy a second one. Great shooter, smooth handler. Greatly recommended

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I have one of the older varmint specials. It is a 220 swift as well. I think it is from the first year they started this line, but it isn't stainless, or fluted. I love this rifle. Damned sure a shooter and a keeper. I adjusted the factory trigger myself and it is pretty nice. For hunting, I don't like triggers in the 2oz. range. And doing .4" or less is no problem.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VSSF II rifles are very accurate. The big problem with the VSSF II is the finish. In the sun it shines like a diamond alerting every animal in the woods, in the rain it tarnishes and pits like carbon steel. If you get one plan on duracoating or some additional finish to get the glare down.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
The VSSF II rifles are very accurate. The big problem with the VSSF II is the finish. In the sun it shines like a diamond alerting every animal in the woods, in the rain it tarnishes and pits like carbon steel. If you get one plan on duracoating or some additional finish to get the glare down.

Interesting comment on the VSSF II finish. I wasn't aware of that problem. I've looked at them recently, with the idea of buying another one, and can't get past the large palm swells. Not my cup of tea.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have last years VSF which is the same rifle only in desert tan instead of black and with a black fluted barrel instead of stainless and shiny. I like the looks, the stock configuration and it is indeed a shooter.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the information. Hope to get one, just have to get $$$ together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the original VSSFs, one in 22-250 and the second is a Swift. I also have one of the newer VSSF IIs in 204Ruger. With Leupold scopes, they are some kind of accurate rifles, all under 1/2 MOA depending on how I hold.

I shoot Sierra bullets in all of them. The Swift shoots the Sierra 55gr Spitzer BoatTail. The 22-250 shoots the 55gr HPBT and the 204 shoots the 39gr Sierra bullet.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote