THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Who makes the best Hornet under $700

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes the best Hornet under $700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Out of the box. What's the general consensus? Browning, Savage, Ruger, CZ etc.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my only experience is with the cz 527 and mine is in 223 not the hornet. so my input here may or may not be of use to you but...my 527 in 223 is the only gun i've ever had that would shoot sub .5 MOA right out of the box. it amazed me to be able to shoot groups like that. good luck with your choice...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Get a Savage if your looking for a cheap accurate rifle. Will not be pretty but it will shoot well.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out the Reloading section page 2 at the moment, "Shot a .140 out of the box by Bill r.
Don't know what they cost though.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschütz makes some nice Hornets, not sure what they cost, though?
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly Mike. Nicest hornets are Anshutz. I have no idea what they might make in the US.

A second hand Anshutz would be a better buy than most of the listed rifles new.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Ok, check this out:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976640501.htm

This one would be to my taste:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976640501.htm

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice rifle! And with the scope included, it pretty much falls in 22. Hornet's price range. I'd personally think hard about this one.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned or own a TC Carbine, H&R Single shot, Ruger, and a CZ 527.
The CZ is by far the best of the ones that I have owned. Adjustable trigger, nice wood, and in a small frame that is great for walking around with. All for around $530.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my cz Hornet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt that Anschutz are nice but very pricey .
I did a lot of research on the same subject and just bought a CZ . Great trigger (after a little work) , fancy wood , front locking miniature Mauser action , nice finish and comfortable to shoot . Good value for money too .
Worst things are the short magazine doesn't allow you to load plastic tips except the 35 V Max . Arse - about safety takes a bit of getting used to .
Forget the (bolt action) Ruger Hornet if what I have read is correct .The Browning gets good reports .
Ruger number 1 might be nice if you're that way inclined .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the CZ. Great value.
Mike

Posts: 22 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 21 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had rugers, browning abolts, browning lo wall kimber, anschutz & even a magnum res. BFR revolver. Never had a cz - don't like the external clips, I think the lo wall was my favorite, O by the way, with the exception of the BFR all the got the K hornet reamer run in them.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SwiftShot:
Get a Savage if your looking for a cheap accurate rifle. Will not be pretty but it will shoot well.

Although all my .22 Hornets are Ruger's(two No.1's and a M77/22 VHZ), after seeing the way te Savage's shoot I have to agree with "SwiftShot". Although I don't agree about their looks. Anything that shoots as well as they do IS pretty. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one,I would look at an early Brno ZKW465 Hornet. Slick and accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz is pretty much out of my price range so I don't even consider it. A company that made it's reputation in North America with the .22Hornet was Brno. It was considerably better in performance than it's US counterparts. It's the same company now known as CZ and from all I've read it's still the best thing going, very accurate. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 .22 Hornet. Not a handloader, so I'm stuck with factory fodder. However, even with the factory stuff, it shoots very well. Really likes the Hornady 35gr V-Max. Consisently under .6.

Fit/finish, wood, trigger are very good for a rifle in this price class. In fact, probably hard to beat for the $$.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $700, you could buy a Sako 78. That would be my choice. If I could think of a reason to own a 22 Hornet, it would be a mannlicher stocked Anschutz or a Sako 78.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote