THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    17 BR ,does anyone else shoot one?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 BR ,does anyone else shoot one?
 Login/Join

<Mark D.>
posted
I have built two of these rifles to shoot the heavier 30gr bullets . The performance is really great on coyotes and bobcats . I know there a lot of 17PPC shooters out there , but I was wondering if anyone else has been shooting a 17BR that might want to share some reloading data? I use the VVN550 now with great results but I now there are some more great powders out ther that would work great in this case ! It looks like I am going to get to put it to use pretty soon , there has been several ranchers wanting me to go out and hunt coyotes on there land ! Thganks! Mark D.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Very interesting cartridge! I thought about doing a rebarrel job in .17BR, but it looked so overbore. A .20BR on a Browning M1885 falling block action is more my style.
Did you try posting on saubier.com? They talk about true small caliber stuff, not what some people consider to be small like the .243win.
Hope this helps.
Larry

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Mark D.>
posted
The 17 BR is not really overbore as one might think . If you are going to shoot the heavier bullets like the 30golds that Tod Kindler makes . If you ever get to watch a coyote fall like a bowling pin at 250 to 300 yards . Overbore! I think not. Thanks! Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark , how many rounds do you have through your .17's. I too think that it is overbore, meaning that bbl life is not very good. I am very curious as to how long the throats are going to last. I wouldn't hesitate to build one if I was sure that the bbl would last to 2000 rounds.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Mark D.>
posted
Hello Rich ! I don't have very many rounds though my barrel yet. Just about 50 rounds so far . I don't worry much about barrel life . If you take care and clean it right it will last for a good while . I will be more worried about the throat life , when it starts to go I will just move the shoulder back as needed . 2000 rounds is quite a few , but if I just get 1000 rounds I will be happy . Thanks! Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark D.,
Just curious. Who did your rebarrel job and did they already have the reamer on hand?
Thanks,
Larry

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
<RAG>
posted
Absolutely, positively overbore! But if used for low-volume shooting as is the case for a yote rig, then why not. You won't gain much at all over the .17 PPC. But I'm sure it would be a fun, laser-like gun.

<schapman43>
posted
What kind of velocity are you guys getting on the 30gr bullets?

<Mark D.>
posted
The reamer is mine , it is a .204 tight neck , made by Dave Kiff at PPG . The velocity with a 30gr bullet is 4200fps with 30grains of VVN550.The rifle is a 700 REM BDL, 24" Pac Nor barrel , with Hi Tech Varmint stock. Thanks! Mark