New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA bases vs Rings???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems like all I hear about are folks using 10, 20, 30 MOA bases to extend their range & scope settings to reach out yonder. Lately I have been using the Burris rings with the inserts. Sometimes with the "0" inserts, sometimes with 10, 20, or even 40 thousandths offset to get the same results. Is there a good reason why some pay $100 plus for a tapered base, versus $35-40 for the rings that do the same thing?
I have fallen in love with these rings. They seem to stay put (seldom a problem anyway) and I have yet to have them mark a scope. I'm just wondering if I am missing something? Thanks for your time...

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you are missing something - you are probably shooting over it Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until recently I don't think the Burris with the insert was offered for a Weaver style base (they now are). That's the one reason I suspect for those of us that prefer that type of setup (Weaver base). For really big scopes guys tend to prefer the rings that seem more meaty and have more screws than the Burris. Is that concern justified? Probably not, but to each their own.

For long range the picatinny type rail allows you to mounts other things like cosine indicators and bubble levels as well on the rail.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote