Find
Notify
Tools

Considering the 6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I bought a mini Mauser action about two years ago on impulse. The bolt face is for the 7.62x39. I didn't like the trigger, or the safety, mostly because it didn't lock the bolt down, and because it really can't be adjusted to a nice crisp trigger pull. So I put it on consignment. It just sat there and didn't sell.

Meanwhile, I bought a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, and like it a lot, mostly because it's very accurate, and didn't cost me a bunch. I can live with its problems such as the backward safety, and the ugly magazine. At least my gunsmith got the trigger crisp and precise, and the safety locks the bolt down.

But then I discovered that Gentry makes a three-position safety for the mini-Mauser. So I had my gunsmith install a Timney trigger and the three-position safety. Now the bolt locks down as it should, and the trigger is just right. It transformed the action.

So now, I have been studying what cartridge to barrel it for, and the Grendel seems to be the one that produces the most energy. For example, we dream that the 7.62x39 is the equivalent of the 30-30, but it isn't. The energy and velocity figures for the Grendel show that it can easily equal the energy of the 30-30 at any range, and have better trajectory too.

Since the Grendel case is sharp shouldered, and has much less taper in the body, compared to the 7.62x39, is this going to cause feeding issues?

I think it might make into a neat and very small and light rifle. What about barrel length? Short would be nice, but the velocity is an issue too. Wouldn't want to sacrifice too much with a realy short barrel.

Also what is the appropriate twist rate, say for the 100-125gr 6.5 bullets at Grendel velocity.

That Nosler 6.5mm 125 gr partition looks pretty interesting. Since the front part of the partitions is pretty soft, I'll bet that thing will open up very well at Grendel speeds, and do what that puny 123 gr .311 bullet can't do.

What has been the experience of you guys?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a CZ527. Brockman's rifles did an action job, bedded the action, free floated a 19 inch Lothar Walther barrel, and set the trigger to 2.5 pounds. It wears a Burris compact 2x-7x in CZ rings. I have not bagged anything with it, and my paper punching so far has been limited to Alexander Arms factory rounds with 120 Ballistic Tips. Once my reloading bench is together, I plan on rolling my own for this coming deer season. The rifle is a dream to carry and shoot, and much more information is available at www dot 6.5grendel dot com. My German Shorthair Pointer is named Grendel, so I had to have a rifle in this chambering...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an opportunity to shoot a Grendel a while back. I liked the round.

It is different than the 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 can be loaded with heavy bullets and it is slow in the factory loads.

The Grendel is not a heavy cartridge.

It is not that one is better than the other, but they are different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 7.62x39 with the barrel already removed, a reamer in hand, and a barrel waiting to be threaded and chambered. If you need a reamer for your project, just let me know.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 I just rebarreled with a lightweight 6.5 barrel reamed to Grendel. Haven't shot it yet as I have to finish the stockwork but I think it's going to be a very nice lightweight rifle. I actually built it for my daughter who's only 3 now, so I'll have time to play with it awhile before she's ready for it. I think it's a great choice for those small actions.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kableuy

I dont have a Grendel but i do shoot the 6.5X55 and im a member over at 6.5grendel.com there really is no comparison of the 7.62X39 or 30-30 win to the grendel. The grendel's bullets will still be travelling supersonic @1,000yds and Alexander himself has said with the grendel if you can see it you can hit it.

As far as hunting bullets go you have- the 100gr partition,100gr hornady spire point, 100grB.T.,120grBT,125gr partition, 129gr spire point.

I did not list any of the Barnes bullets as they are long for weight and i believe the 130gr acu-bond and swift are also a little on the long side but would still work.

I wouldnt discount that 100gr partition on smaller big game it should work very well. Good luck with your projects.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote